Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Shall I buy this mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 08:57 PM
ford65stang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Shall I buy this mustang?

yea those are new cail plates.....the black and yellow are the orginal ones.....even if they were blue and yellow then thats still 70s and 80s......then it was white with cailfonia in normal text.....then it became white with cailfornia in script....

+1 on on the drums on koni
Old 12-17-2006, 09:06 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Smothers

I thought the kind of exhaust with the trumpets like the first one has only came on GTs. Could that car have come from the factory like that?
You are correct about the trumpets coming through the rear valance being a GT thing, but who knows if it was added. You notice there is no GT badging on the front fender. He also said it was a 200 Hp motor which is a 289 C code. The GT's were A and K code. However, It is still a cleaner car than the 2nd one. No way are either one of them worth over 10K. You can ship a car to Europe for less than a thousand USD.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:13 PM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ford65stang

yea those are new cail plates.....the black and yellow are the orginal ones.....even if they were blue and yellow then thats still 70s and 80s......then it was white with cailfonia in normal text.....then it became white with cailfornia in script....

+1 on on the drums on koni
Yeah, my stang still has the original black with yellow lettering Cali plates.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:03 AM
68SCode4speed
2nd Gear Member

Yea, it may not be appealing to all but Steve McQueen made that color look GOOD !!!
Old 12-18-2006, 02:15 AM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

He also said it was a 200 Hp motor which is a 289 C code. The GT's were A and K code. However, It is still a cleaner car than the 2nd one. No way are either one of them worth over 10K. You can ship a car to Europe for less than a thousand USD.
the second has no aircond and the engine bay suggests to me that it hasnt had a lot of work done for many years. There appears to be a film of rust on everything including the pedals.

btw, red shocks doesnt necesarily imply Koni and just because its in the Netherlands, why would they put konis on it and do no other work?

+1 on the drum brakes
+1 on the "show us the pics of the engine bay of #1.

Spanish, is that car at some sort of large dealer/ importer??? I would ask for photos of Vin and door data plate on both (and dont settle for one or the other as they may not match!!). Post them up and let's id both cars first.

I think you'd do better to source a car yourself. At least through this forum you've got a chance of getting some help from members or at least being pointed in the direction of an honest trader. I bought one car sight unseen and it was a disaster, so I'd want to be fairly sure before I threw that kind of money at a car.

Is there a Mustang club in spain or another enthusiast who can/ will/ might help when you run into a problem?
Old 12-18-2006, 02:20 AM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangPammie

That is one ugly color.

(don't take it personally -- mine is the same ugly color).

I'd say it's a '66 by the grill, the side, and my interior is just about identical sans the a/c. Oh wait, I don't have dual exhaust.

But damn, I want the truck behind the 'Stang.
+1,000,000,000,000!

The stang looks clean mang! If ya like it and it seems like a fair price (didn't convert it) I'd go for it. It's all about personal preference. I love the heap of rust I call a mustang sitting in my front yard, other people would tell me I'm nuts!
Old 12-18-2006, 02:38 AM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

You can always pay a fee and find out who owned the car by looking up that license plate on the net. Then you can ask all the questions you want.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:39 AM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

i dint think you could do that anymore due to privacy laws and all
Old 12-18-2006, 04:53 AM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

Aussie,

The koni were a guess due to the colour and the open ended bolts for the top shock mounts, if i remeber i said i think they could be koni's.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:05 AM
spanish mustang
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the help so far guys.

It says on his website the first one is indeed a 66 but the second is a 65. The first does seem to be in better condition but I wonder if its a case of it being just cleaner and more polished than the second? After all both cars are from the same importer and there must be a reason the second is more expensive than the first?

I might import one from USA, depends what the difference in price turns out to be and how happy I am with the seller and car I find in USA. The good thing about the ones in Holland are that its a rather reputable dealer. Ill see if I can get some more pictures from him.

There is a mustang club in Spain but its inactive, the phone number doesnt work and they dont respond to the emails.