Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Help me figure out what motor I have..

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 01:01 AM
ford65stang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Help me figure out what motor I have..

ah ok...so i did miss something....i didnt see it the first time [sm=imsorry.gif]
[sm=oopssign.gif][sm=bustedsign.gif][sm=laughat.gif][sm=owned.gif]

ill just go back to sleep [sm=sleeping.gif]

Old 12-18-2006, 02:44 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

That's okay, I missed a few things the first time through too.

1. Put the original bypass hose back on the thermostat housing.

2. Electric fuel pumps belong near the tank so they can push the fuel. They are horrible at pulling.

3. That engine desperately needs some generally cleaning up. Maybe consider sending it to Soaring for his detail skilz.

4. You may want to hook up that oil pressure sender...even if it is for an idiot light.

5. It's a short deck Windsor. Pull a valve cover and see what kind of rockers are on it. Stud=older, fulcrum=newer. Screw in studs are what you want.
ORIGINAL: ford65stang

ah ok...so i did miss something....i didnt see it the first time [sm=imsorry.gif]
[sm=oopssign.gif][sm=bustedsign.gif][sm=laughat.gif][sm=owned.gif]

ill just go back to sleep [sm=sleeping.gif]

EDIT:

Oh, I like this one. Good use for a temp sender.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:51 AM
bvysochin

Colorado, you're actually right on the money..

Plug gap is what I was mainly after, but I figured to even start there, I should know what kind of animal we're dealing with.. Hence this thread, hehe.

I'd like to do a full tune up..

Here's the story with this car.. we have a crapload of new modular mustangs.. that's what were into and we know them inside out basically.. 2 96 cobras, a 97 cobra, a 96 GT, just sold a 98 cobra, etc etc, the list goes on.. We wanted an older mustang and this one came along.. We bought it for next to nothing, basically.. It's in pretty decent shape, except for a few things that obviously are "hacked up".. Quite a few things for that matter.. But that's okay.. This will be a learning experience to say the least. The guy we bought it from was an older guy, a nice guy, & I guess he picked it up from some 16 y/o kid who was given the car in seriously near perfect showroom condition shape.. Within 3 years.. the car started to show signs of the lack of TLC..

Today was the 3rd time we've driven it since we've had it for about 5 months now.. Haven't got around to it yet honestly..

I have many questions, and I'm so glad I found this forum, please bare with me guys.

- Original bypass hose, I see.. that's what that's for.. What is the reason for having it capped off? Advantages?

- Good call on the electric fuel pump.. As I said, the kid was an idiot.. I'll move it back ASAP.

- We'll detail the engine as soon as we get a hood so we can at least admire our efforts for longer than 24 hours before it goes back to current condition (There's a story behind that one, as the previous hood went flying off, that'll be for another day)

- Definitely need gauges... The harnesses/gauges are so hacked up -- None of them work basically.. Along with the lights.. I'm planning to get the entire autometer cluster..

- Short deck windsor, ok. So school me on the older rocker set ups.. When I looked up PN #8582, the MSD distributor, one site stated it was for 72-96 F250 3/4 tons.. or 87-91 crown vics.. Both of which have non roller camshafts I guess.. This is a new area for me.. I assume the advantages of roller rockers are less friction, so easier power.. Correct? So if I do have the non roller cam.. Can I somehow add roller rockers? Or is what's in there now OK? Need a little guidance.. don't laugh

- I will definitely pull the starter ASAP as I'm curious to find out what exactly this thing has...

- So to start a list of things to do with this car.. Which include a tune up.. (This thing runs like crap sometimes and is very tempermental).. Replace the bypass hose, replace plugs with autolite 45's (big ones) and set gap to .045 - .050. (one of them looked burnt when I pulled it today) , (wires look new), probably need a new cap and rotor.. Not very familiar with the MSD ignition... Anything I need to change / check on that for proper operation? Move fuel pump near the tank..

I have so many more questions, but I think I will do a few searches first so I don't irritate anyone..

Thanks for all the help guys!!
Old 12-18-2006, 04:46 AM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bvysochin
- Short deck windsor, ok. So school me on the older rocker set ups.. When I looked up PN #8582, the MSD distributor, one site stated it was for 72-96 F250 3/4 tons.. or 87-91 crown vics.. Both of which have non roller camshafts I guess.. This is a new area for me.. I assume the advantages of roller rockers are less friction, so easier power.. Correct? So if I do have the non roller cam.. Can I somehow add roller rockers? Or is what's in there now OK? Need a little guidance.. don't laugh
yes to the first, yes to the second

and if theres a non roller came its probably a 289/302. and yes you can add roller rockers to the heads, im going to someday add them to mine, i dont have a roller cam, although i wish i spent the extra cash on one.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:47 AM
Markstang1969
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

It has too many aftermarket parts added to the top of the engine to tell what it is. It could be anything from a 289, 302 or 5.0. Get the casting number from behind the starter and we can decode it for you.
that would be this number here:

My motor is upside down on a stand in this pic
Old 12-18-2006, 04:55 AM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

soory must be getting old can't read all the digits!!!
Old 12-19-2006, 03:08 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Responses in bold.
ORIGINAL: bvysochin

Colorado, you're actually right on the money..

Plug gap is what I was mainly after, but I figured to even start there, I should know what kind of animal we're dealing with.. Hence this thread, hehe.

I'd like to do a full tune up..

Here's the story with this car.. we have a crapload of new modular mustangs.. that's what were into and we know them inside out basically.. 2 96 cobras, a 97 cobra, a 96 GT, just sold a 98 cobra, etc etc, the list goes on.. We wanted an older mustang and this one came along.. We bought it for next to nothing, basically.. It's in pretty decent shape, except for a few things that obviously are "hacked up".. Quite a few things for that matter.. But that's okay.. This will be a learning experience to say the least. The guy we bought it from was an older guy, a nice guy, & I guess he picked it up from some 16 y/o kid who was given the car in seriously near perfect showroom condition shape.. Within 3 years.. the car started to show signs of the lack of TLC..

Today was the 3rd time we've driven it since we've had it for about 5 months now.. Haven't got around to it yet honestly..

I have many questions, and I'm so glad I found this forum, please bare with me guys.

- Original bypass hose, I see.. that's what that's for.. What is the reason for having it capped off? Advantages?
Previous owner just didn't want to fight the stock bypass hose. A little synthetic (important to use synthetic so it doens't attack the rubber in the hose) grease inside the hose helps slide them in place (and helps on disassembly). What's there now does bypass, but they're using a heater hose port and it just looks cheesey.

- Good call on the electric fuel pump.. As I said, the kid was an idiot.. I'll move it back ASAP.

- We'll detail the engine as soon as we get a hood so we can at least admire our efforts for longer than 24 hours before it goes back to current condition (There's a story behind that one, as the previous hood went flying off, that'll be for another day)

- Definitely need gauges... The harnesses/gauges are so hacked up -- None of them work basically.. Along with the lights.. I'm planning to get the entire autometer cluster.. I've got an Autometer setup on my '65 F250. With exception of getting a speedo that works on that old vehicle (non-standard mount in the xfer case, and the cable's too short to reach my newest mech. speedo[:@]), it's great.

8582 is for the basic 289/302 V8. The roller rockers will help, but having a roller cam is a bigger help (steeper ramps on the cams for one thing). Older stock 302's had push in stud mounted rocker studs. These suck. They can be adjustable with the right nuts, but they still suck. Newer 302's/5.0L's had pedistal mount which is also a torque and forget (bolt through the fulcrum instead of a stud). Both can be upgraded to screw in studs, which is preferable. You can get drop-in roller fulcrums along with roller tip rockers, but a full roller rocker on screw in studs is what you want.

- I will definitely pull the starter ASAP as I'm curious to find out what exactly this thing has...

- So to start a list of things to do with this car.. Which include a tune up.. (This thing runs like crap sometimes and is very tempermental).. Replace the bypass hose, replace plugs with autolite 45's (big ones) and set gap to .045 - .050. (one of them looked burnt when I pulled it today) , (wires look new), probably need a new cap and rotor.. Not very familiar with the MSD ignition... Anything I need to change / check on that for proper operation? Move fuel pump near the tank..
coming from the EFI world, you're going to love that old Holley. I'd suggest reading up on how they work so you can learn how to tune them efficiently.

I have so many more questions, but I think I will do a few searches first so I don't irritate anyone..

Thanks for all the help guys!!