Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

something new for me, what now?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 05:09 AM
Fast351Back

Default something new for me, what now?

I guess it was late and I knew I shouldnt have used that small socket set to spin my oil pump shaft, but I did. I was installing a new ready to run MSD dist. on an old 68 J code I bought, that hasn't been run in just over a year. Now, when I couldn't find the right tool to remove that socket and used the wrong one and dropped it into the engine I thought what now?
The answer was, install the MSD dist. and go to bed. Which I did, no problem. Now What? I figure that socket small as it was PROBABLY fell to the oil pan. I could drain it and use magnet to find it maybe encourage it to fall out oil drain. Or, I could drop the pan and waiste the time I deserve to lose. Any thoughts? Yeah, Yeah, be nice OK.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:17 AM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

Default RE: something new for me, what now?

ORIGINAL: Fast351Back

I guess it was late and I knew I shouldnt have used that small socket set to spin my oil pump shaft, but I did. I was installing a new ready to run MSD dist. on an old 68 J code I bought, that hasn't been run in just over a year. Now, when I couldn't find the right tool to remove that socket and used the wrong one and dropped it into the engine I thought what now?
The answer was, install the MSD dist. and go to bed. Which I did, no problem. Now What? I figure that socket small as it was PROBABLY fell to the oil pan. I could drain it and use magnet to find it maybe encourage it to fall out oil drain. Or, I could drop the pan and waiste the time I deserve to lose. Any thoughts? Yeah, Yeah, be nice OK.
what fell, the wrench or the socket piece? if it fell through the dizzy hole on the cleveland, its most likely in the oil pan

just take off the pan and get it out, it could cause big problems if you dont take it out
Old 12-18-2006, 05:30 AM
Fast351Back

Just the socket, I had an extension on a 1/4 in. drive and it just wouldn't hold the socket when I picked it up. It didn't get into my 351C though. It's a 302 J code I haven't loaded into my 66 yet. It is headed for my test stand soon as I drop the pan and hopefully get the socket out. Just making sure somebodys awake out there. LOL & SOL
[X(]
Old 12-18-2006, 05:42 AM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fast351Back

Just the socket, I had an extension on a 1/4 in. drive and it just wouldn't hold the socket when I picked it up. It didn't get into my 351C though. It's a 302 J code I haven't loaded into my 66 yet. It is headed for my test stand soon as I drop the pan and hopefully get the socket out. Just making sure somebodys awake out there. LOL & SOL
[X(]

o, yea, get the pan off and find it

its just one of those small things that can happen that takes time to fix. i broke a bolt in my passenger side head today, took me an hour to get out, 10 minutes swearing, 5 minutes smoking, 5 minutes thinking, 10 minutes getting equiptment and throwing rags to cover the areas where metal shards would be bad, 10 minutes on figuring how im gunna do this, then 20 minutes of drilling it out and unscrewing it
Old 12-18-2006, 06:32 AM
ford65stang
2nd Gear Member

im afriad to work on my car tomorrow.....so much bad krama going around..... i wish i could hep u....[&o]
Old 12-18-2006, 10:27 AM
tylerdru
4th Gear Member

If you can see it sitting in the shaft then get a strong magnet and pick it up. I used a large magnetic socket extension to get one out.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:18 PM
coda618
3rd Gear Member

You may be able to get one of those telescoping magnets up into the drain plug hole and work it around. Also, if it fwell into the pan all the way, it may just work its way over to the hole when you drain the oil. But, as nothing is ever easy, it is prob. wedged right up against the screen, which will prevent you from getting to it either way. So, you will prob have to pull the oil pan.
Good luck