Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Mustang Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 09:46 AM
unit91
3rd Gear Member

Default Mustang Mystery

We're looking in the 68 engine compartment from the front end. Voltage regulator is on your right near the fender. Any idea why someone would ball up a paper towel and cram it in tight between the regulator and the fender????
Old 12-18-2006, 10:58 AM
Wirth
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang Mystery

Stop a Raddle?[sm=alcoholic.gif]
Old 12-18-2006, 11:07 AM
rlbjrcpa
1st Gear Member

Gotta be to stop a rattle - or maybe stuck it there while working on the car and forgot about it.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:08 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Probably to check the oil with.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:37 AM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

what, you guys don't keep your paper towels there??
Old 12-18-2006, 06:07 PM
coda618
3rd Gear Member

Wasn't that a Rotunda dealer option?
Old 12-18-2006, 08:28 PM
Smothers
3rd Gear Member

I think I know what that paper is and why it was there. Back in 1972 I was on a hiking trip with a friend in the Hemlock State Forest North of Portland. On the 2nd day we were fishing along the banks of the Columbia river when my buddy started yelling. It wasn't because he had caught a fish, but because he had found a body. After we calmed down we started looking closer and noticed what appeared to be a bag of some sorts and managed to free it from the bushes. It was a bag and inside was more money then we had ever seen! For the next 15 minutes we just sat there stareing at the all the cash and eachother. Suddenly we heard some men talking and it sounded like they were heading towards us. I swear my heart was going to bust right out of my chest. Without saying a word we both grabbed the bag and money and crammed it back under the bushes by the body. Just as I started crawling out from under the bushes to start running I noticed a wallet near the body and grabbed it. We grabbed our packs and just starting fleeing in no particular direction when we came upon the the men whos voices we heard. They were federal agents who told us they were performing an investigation and questioned us for over an hour about who we were and what we were doing there. We managed to keep our cool and didn't mention our find. Finally they let us go under the provision we hike straight back to our car at the trail head and leave the park. We were miles from where we started and knew we would have a difficult time finding that same place again, so we did our best to sketch a map using various landscape features as points of reference. When we got back to the parking lot, there were more law inforcement people and they were between us and my friends truck. Without them seeing us, we watched as they interrogated a couple (day hikers probably) and physically searched them and their belongings. We knew we could beat the interrogation, but didnt want them to find our map. As my buddy stood gaurd, I frantically began looking for a place to stash the map. There was no place! Nothing but trees and wildflowers! My buddy started to panic and said they spotted him and were heading our way. The parking lot was sloped and level at the top where we stood. Behind me was a 68 Mustang and I immediately knew that was my only chance of hiding the map. I ran to it (knowing the Feds would'nt be able to see me or the Mustang untill they made their way up to the top of the parking lot) and tried opening the door. Locked! Quickly I popped the hood and looked for a place to conceal the folded paper in my hand. I managed to jam the map between the reg. and fender before closing the hood. Right then the Feds came into view and the questioning began. They bought our story and told us to leave. We drove about a mile before turning off the gravel road and parked behind some trees, then hiked back to the trail head parking lot unseen. But the Mustang was gone!!! On the way home I remembered the wallet and pulled it out. The name on the drivers license read Dan B. Cooper for whatever it's worth.

Hard to believe I know, but its true. If you want to give me the map, I will split the money with you. Let me know. -Smothers
Old 12-19-2006, 12:47 PM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

DB COOPER ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha funny post!
Old 12-19-2006, 12:54 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

Probably to check the oil with.
+1

I got 3 shop towels, a 8 inch roll,I stole from work, of paper towels (it doesn't have much on it and it's crammed in the little hole in the fender wall), a QT of oil and bottle of Lucas tranny fluid.

My pop's truck, well, it's got more room than my Buicks trunk!! [8D]
Old 12-19-2006, 02:12 PM
crunchyskippy
3rd Gear Member

Smothers - I naturally started skimming your post (since I get intimidated by a lot of words sometimes). But about a quarter of the way through it I found myself starting back at the top and reading word for word. Well done! Although I was expecting Chester Copperpot...

Anyhow, back on topic, I recently found an oil rag that I myself had forgotten that I stashed. Didn't mean to leave it there, but it provided a second usefulness!

Quick Reply: Mustang Mystery