Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Jumping into the water

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 03:07 AM
ford65stang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Jumping into the water

Welcome.....i love this site....help is always there....

cant wait to see those pics
Old 12-19-2006, 03:11 AM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

Most women aren't interested in power, but in looks and reliabiliability. You should be concerned about the brakes and suspension upgrades before you worry about power. Just get the 200 cid 6 banger overhauled with all new parts such as carburetor, starter, etc. Upgrade the suspension to V8 parts. Even though you won't necessarily need the beefier parts, it wiil make the front end a lot safer. Replace the front shoe brakes with disc brakes. Put in 3 point seat belts. Get a nice paint job in the color of her choice, and upgrade the interior if it needs it. Most women like tunes, so consider an upgraded radio with CD player etc. And yes, get her to help you with the restoration. She will treasure it more if she has an investment of time and work.
Agreed, right on the money, honey.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:45 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

welcome to the forum read the stickys theres tons of great info in there and alot of guys on here full of it too
Old 12-19-2006, 02:32 PM
Lumbergh
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

Most women aren't interested in power, but in looks and reliabiliability. You should be concerned about the brakes and suspension upgrades before you worry about power. Just get the 200 cid 6 banger overhauled with all new parts such as carburetor, starter, etc. Upgrade the suspension to V8 parts. Even though you won't necessarily need the beefier parts, it wiil make the front end a lot safer. Replace the front shoe brakes with disc brakes. Put in 3 point seat belts. Get a nice paint job in the color of her choice, and upgrade the interior if it needs it. Most women like tunes, so consider an upgraded radio with CD player etc. And yes, get her to help you with the restoration. She will treasure it more if she has an investment of time and work.
I also meant to mention that my wife isn't like other wives. I was just told yesterday what a lucky guy I am. I bought and installed an export brace, Monte Carlo bar, and chrome air filter as part of her Christmas present and she was far from disappointed. She would have had a fit ifI had bought her a 6 cylinder Mustang as a project car for her birthday. She only agreed to the 289, 2V,whenI pointed out that we couldchange toa 4V carb and a dual plane intake relatively easy to increase the hp. The 68 Mustang is definitely hers.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:03 AM
Dadda

Well, to update on my original post......I was supposed to pick the car up on Thurs. night (as agreed to over the phone with her last Sat.) I called Thurs. morning and left a message and she called back at lunch time. I told her I just wanted to confirm the time she was to meet me so I could pay her and pick up the car. She apologized because she "had" to sell it on Wed. and forgot to call me. Someone probably called and she saidshe had sold it for my price and they offered her more. What a let down, I was nicer on the phone than I wanted to be but that wouldn't have changed anything anyway.
We are on the hunt again with a new set of tools ready to tear into it.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:37 AM
gothand
5th Gear Member

It may seem like a bummer now, but when you have your Mustang you'll be glad you didn't get this one and that it worked out for the best. I don't know why that is, but it seems to happen that way more likely than not. This time, focus your search on the 289's.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:30 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

When I was looking for mine, I only looked at the 289's with a manual transmission. I didn't even consider a 6 banger. You can waste a lot of valuable time looking at every Mustang available.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:46 PM
Lumbergh
2nd Gear Member

Your probably right about why she "couldn't: sell the car to you. She got a better offer and her word is worthless. You're better off without it, besides there is no shortage of Mustangs for sale. Wait for a nice 289 to come along. It will be more enjoyable to drive anyway.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:49 AM
Dadda

Thanks all for advice and support. I am on the hunt and will find something. I am trying to keep the initial purchase at $2k or less though. I know I am limiting myself but with daughter in college I am trying to go at this slowly.
I will let you know what I find.