Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Pulling engine and tranny

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 08:49 PM
green_blurr
3rd Gear Member

Default Pulling engine and tranny

I am about to pull my engine and tranny at the same time im going to use a engine lift plate that hooks up to the manifold so i dont have to take apart the engine .I have a nice cherry picker i plan on laying the engine hooked up to the tranny on a wooden pallat if i drain the radiator fluid do i have to drain the motor oil and the tranny oil? it may be sitting on the palat for a while how do i go about this?
Old 12-18-2006, 08:56 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Pulling engine and tranny

Yeah, drain all the fluids to include the engine and tranny. Take the radiator out. Make sure that cherry picker is rated at least at 2000 pounds. If it's an automatic, just take the pan off to drain it. If it is a manual, you will need to rent a pump.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:57 PM
Smothers
3rd Gear Member

You do need to drain the antifreeze but not the engine and tranny if you don't want to.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:03 PM
green_blurr
3rd Gear Member

I really didnt see any point in draining the engine oil and tranny oil then... ofcourse the radiator fluid but im doing some body work and i need to sandblast the engine bay and do some welding underneath and paint everything
Old 12-18-2006, 09:18 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

After you use about 4 bags of kitty litter to sop up all those spilled fluids, just remember that I told you so.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:29 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I forgot to mention that the first thing you should do is to remove the hood. By pulling both the engine and the tranny, you are going to have to angle the engine up at a very steep angle to clear. Also, you will need to hook your chain up to the front and rear of opposite heads. The intake bolt holes are not strong enough. Here is an article that you ought to read before you start pulling anything. You really do need to drain those fluids. Especially if the tranny is an auto. You can always fog the engine to keep it from freezing up while it sits on the pallet for an extended time.
http://www.carcraft.com/howto/1005/
Old 12-18-2006, 10:14 PM
Smothers
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

After you use about 4 bags of kitty litter to sop up all those spilled fluids, just remember that I told you so.

He said he is going to keep the engine and tranny connected. Why would the fluids spill?
Old 12-18-2006, 10:23 PM
JBradley500
3rd Gear Member

id at least do the trans fluid unless you can keep the tail shaft plugged off. the stinky atf will go all over.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:29 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Here is the dilemma. By having to tilt that engine at almost a 90 degree angle to get it to clear with the tranny attached, the dipstick will come out of the hole of the tranny and the engine. He will also get leakage from the rear of the tranny. I have no investment in this project. I am just giving you my opinion based on past experience. Whenever I pull engines and trannies attached, I drain the fluids. Take the advice or not.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:45 PM
Smothers
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

Here is the dilemma. By having to tilt that engine at almost a 90 degree angle to get it to clear with the tranny attached, the dipstick will come out of the hole of the tranny and the engine. He will also get leakage from the rear of the tranny. I have no investment in this project. I am just giving you my opinion based on past experience. Whenever I pull engines and trannies attached, I drain the fluids. Take the advice or not.
Wasn't trying to be argumentative, just curious. Make sense now.

Quick Reply: Pulling engine and tranny