Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

What engine combo to use I6 or V8?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 03:59 PM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: What engine combo to use I6 or V8?

actually the i6 will out torque the v8 and it will reach peak torque at a lower rpm i have seen i6 smoke v8 several times ya the hp isn't there but the torque is and personally i have seen a i8 and i wish that they would be brought back well more than an i5 that chevy has
Old 12-22-2006, 05:55 PM
spanish mustang
1st Gear Member

I stand corrected... but I still say I prefer a V8

Sure about the torque? I always though the more cilinders = more torque, anyone got the actual figures?
Old 12-22-2006, 06:07 PM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

"Mustang Boy" the Ford six will only let me look at some of the sites. I tried to regester and for some reason it would not accept it. Keep asking for a ID code and I can't find it. I tried "Classic Inlines" and it was out of action. Will keep trying though. What kind of RWHP and torque are they making? What is the base block? "Rice burners", Yep we have a lot of "ricers" around here. I'm still trying to figure out what that aluminum wing on the back of these cars is actually for. My theory is they have no place to iron theirclothes and this thing doubles as a ironing board or maybe something they could useif they get stuckin soft ground to help them get out,orit could be used to slide a heavy object out of the bed of pickup truck. I guessthose things are reallyhandy afterall. Well back on the subject. "Soaring",I forgot tosay that this is my wifes car andshe knows it is a 6 cylinder so I have to be careful, kinda keep it the same.Shelikes to drive it and plans to take it to some shows.I think I can sneak a FEW mods in on the engine and still say "Honey, itsnot a newengine, its the same onebut slightly improved". This usually works.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:15 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 67 evil eleanor

"Mustang Boy" the Ford six will only let me look at some of the sites. I tried to regester and for some reason it would not accept it. Keep asking for a ID code and I can't find it. I tried "Classic Inlines" and it was out of action. Will keep trying though. What kind of RWHP and torque are they making? What is the base block? "Rice burners", Yep we have a lot of "ricers" around here. I'm still trying to figure out what that aluminum wing on the back of these cars is actually for. My theory is they have no place to iron theirclothes and this thing doubles as a ironing board or maybe something they could useif they get stuckin soft ground to help them get out,orit could be used to slide a heavy object out of the bed of pickup truck. I guessthose things are reallyhandy afterall. Well back on the subject. "Soaring",I forgot tosay that this is my wifes car andshe knows it is a 6 cylinder so I have to be careful, kinda keep it the same.Shelikes to drive it and plans to take it to some shows.I think I can sneak a FEW mods in on the engine and still say "Honey, itsnot a newengine, its the same onebut slightly improved". This usually works.
Well, the mods to make it go faster than a V8 will be very visible. If she wants to show it as a concours original car, you ain't gonna be able to add much. In fact, she can't add anything. It just depends on the class she wants to show it. A heavily modified 6 banger will be in a class all it's own. And, for all the guys who think a modified 6 banger Ford engine will outperform a V8 modified engine, you are dreaming. The only straight 6 banger engine I have ever driven that would outperform a V8 was not a Ford, but a Skyline, It is amazing how the Japanese can get that much power out of a 6 banger.