Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

What engine combo to use I6 or V8?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 10:37 PM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Default What engine combo to use I6 or V8?

Thought I had my mind set on a turbo V8 for my 65 Fastback. I started having second thoughts after reading up on some very impressive I6's. Has anyone builta turbocharged I6? any thoughts? My FB is a T code soa 6 cylinder would be cool.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:01 PM
Mustang Boy
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: What engine combo to use I6 or V8?

i myself havt built a turbo I6 but i will within the next 3 years but i have a buddy who made one and is in the process of putting a bigger turbo on to make crazy amounts of power and if u want more info on turbo I6 builds go to www.fordsix.com and look for posts by people names does10s, linc200 and there r a few others but i think u will be able to find them pretty easily

Old 12-22-2006, 05:06 AM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

well i love v8 but i think it would be so cool to pull up to a stoplight and some stupid guy makes fun of you and your 6 and you can blow him of the line or maybe if you got a small block v8 like a 289/260 and turboed it but i think that you should go with the six because you will have more room in the engine bay and if you can i would get sequential turbo so there is no lag and i would get an i6 you could nab one out of a 90 somehting truck with EFI and really tune the hell out of it but thats just me
Old 12-22-2006, 05:24 AM
spanish mustang
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Brandontyler65

well i love v8 but i think it would be so cool to pull up to a stoplight and some stupid guy makes fun of you and your 6 and you can blow him of the line
Thats the idea behind ricers and should never imo be applied to mustangs, theyre expected to be powerful not be laughed at and then surprise.

Of course you can get good performance out of any engine, but you can never get that torque or more importantly sound from anything else than a v8, for sound alone I would always stick a v8 in.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:42 AM
mustang652
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: spanish mustang

Thats the idea behind ricers and should never imo be applied to mustangs, theyre expected to be powerful not be laughed at and then surprise.

Of course you can get good performance out of any engine, but you can never get that torque or more importantly sound from anything else than a v8, for sound alone I would always stick a v8 in.
Might check your info base. Modified and high performance inline 6's were around years before the term "ricer" was invented and added to our vocablulary. Some of the torque and HP figures will surprise you. Even if "sound" is all one should judge,check out some inlines 200's and 250's with dual out headers 2 inch pipes and Flomasters.

Old 12-22-2006, 11:00 AM
spanish mustang
1st Gear Member

Dont get me wrong Im not insulting I6's theyre great engines, I wasnt saying theyre ricer engines Im saying that the comment "it would be so cool to pull up to a stoplight and some stupid guy makes fun of you and your 6 and you can blow him of the line" is the idea behind ricers, and I dont like it.

As for sound from a I6 yes they can sound great but its different to a throaty V8 which is what I personally like. When it comes to cars I prefer it to fly like a bee and sting like a butterfly rather than the traditional, other way round.

Old 12-22-2006, 11:31 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Spend the same amount of money on a V8 engine as you would on an I6 to get max power from it, and guess which engnine will outperform the other.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:38 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Still thinking and searching. I would be interested in a crate I6FI that can support 12-15 lbs of boost viaa turbo. As far as the sound, the older I get the less I like the noise. (an fire upthe R-302Notchback with straight pipes when the mood strikes) Thanks for the comments. I was just thinking of something different to do. Just an interesting note, in the 60'ssome tracksbanned the I6s and wouldnot allow themto compete with the V8s. Why? Well alot of V8s were smoked and imbarresedby these little guys.Since the majority of their buisnesswas V8s, theythought they would loosemoney if they didn't stop this.www ford 6 was down and could'nt find out much. If someone knows of another site let me know. And by the way,
Merry Christmas to all!
Old 12-22-2006, 02:29 PM
Mustang Boy
3rd Gear Member

well ur comment about a crate 200 FI may be truthful in the coming year cause the guys over at www.classicinlines.com r developing an aluminum head which is near production now and after they recoop their money from the aluminum head project they r gonna be designing many crate motor packages from anywhere from mild NA motors to full race FI motors and they r actually in the process now of making a 250 with an aluminum head EFI and a turbo for the guys that made the SN65 for a show ca they r making

and for www.fordsix.com being down i was just on it like 20 minutes bfore i posted this and it was up just make sure u click the link at the top that says FSP forums then scroll all of the way down and click the link that leads u to the forum

Old 12-22-2006, 03:46 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Actually, that's the idea of a sleeper, and has been around as long as hot rodding. Take a nice rusty looking car with poverty wheels...then drop in a 20k race engine and quiet it down with good mufflers. Perfect sleeper.

A ricer is just the opposite. It looks fast (supposedly...at least has a lot of visual modifications), but has no performance.
ORIGINAL: spanish mustang

Dont get me wrong Im not insulting I6's theyre great engines, I wasnt saying theyre ricer engines Im saying that the comment "it would be so cool to pull up to a stoplight and some stupid guy makes fun of you and your 6 and you can blow him of the line" is the idea behind ricers, and I dont like it.

As for sound from a I6 yes they can sound great but its different to a throaty V8 which is what I personally like. When it comes to cars I prefer it to fly like a bee and sting like a butterfly rather than the traditional, other way round.

Quick Reply: What engine combo to use I6 or V8?