Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Some one Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 01:07 AM
MrMainEvent24
1st Gear Member

Default Some one Help!!!

Hey I am new to the Classic Stang world just bought a 64.5 Mustang "D" Code. If you try to turn the wheel you get a huge screeching sound, and i am pretty sure it leaks power steering fluid. It has gotten to the point where i can hardly turn the wheel, and i just wanted to know what you guys think about this. Should i automatically assume this is the power steering pump? Can some one tell me how to put in a new power steering pump? Step by step directions would be the best thing. I am not a mechanic by any means, but i like to do the most work on these cars as i can. Also if you guys know where the best place to order this part that would help also. Please help me out so i can drive my stang!!! You can email me at tr58@drexel.edu

Thanks.....
Old 12-22-2006, 01:10 AM
connor90
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Some one Help!!!

make sure that it has power steering fluid. i know that if it is low it will make noise and it uses type f tranny fluid for the power steering
Old 12-22-2006, 03:13 AM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

+1 also check your tie rods and everthing and make sure everything is greased grease is your friend in this car just make sure its in the right spot
Old 12-22-2006, 03:39 AM
Gun Jam

the belt might be loose too.
Check and see where the fluid is leaking from It might just need a valve rebuild or a hose replaced. If you follow hose from the PS pump it leads to the valve which is coned shaped thing (brown in color with an aluminum colored cover).
Good luck
Gun
Old 12-22-2006, 11:21 AM
MrMainEvent24
1st Gear Member

Thanks Guys. I have to check it out this afternoon. It was dripping really bad that is why i am so concerned. Is the power steering pump a hard fix?
Old 12-22-2006, 11:39 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Check the hoses to see if they are leaking. If not, then spray down the pump and everything in the vicinity with carb fluid and wipe it down to see exactly where the leak is coming from. If it is from the pump itself, then just take the hoses and belt off and replace the pump. Not a rocket science.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:29 PM
palerider
4th Gear Member

Couple of tips:

1. Buy set of shop manuals - see ebay can get them for around $50
2. Get a chiltons or haynes manual for year
3. Order catalogs from different mustang suppliers CJ Pony, NPD, Mustang Plus - they have good pictures and you can buy pretty much antyhing you need from them. Also, when getting parts check local auto parts first - you'd be surprised how may parts you can still get - they got power steering hoses for my 70
4. Brace yourself you will alwyas have some maintenance repairs you will need to do 40+ year car
5. Do searches on site and check FAQs - chances are someone already has posted problem you have.
6. Subscribe to magazine like Mustang Monthly - also check their site out - lot of good information.
7. Develop working relationship with local wrench better yet a freind of friendthat does work on the side that does not mind you helping out.

Going thru my first driver restorationand did all of the above - not really much I don't think I can handle.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:34 PM
scott_m_mil
2nd Gear Member

Don't worry you'll get it like the rest of us did. Asking lots of questions and just working experience. The beauty about cars this old is everything is usually very simple and straight forward...F***ing electronic mexican/japanese made new S*** is a pain.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:34 PM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

ya it is a pain with all that new **** but check your hoses as soon as it got below freezing here i had to retighten all of my hoses and clamps and the only cool thing with new cars electronics is that you can plug in a comp and it tells you what to look for usually
Old 12-22-2006, 04:51 PM
scott_m_mil
2nd Gear Member

HA! unless the sensor is whats broken, or its something with the egr system in which case a MAF sensor can throw and 02 sensor off or any other combination of crazy things.