Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Disc Brake Conversion Kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 08:21 PM
connor90
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Disc Brake Conversion Kit

ORIGINAL: Soaring

Just remember that you must have at least 15" wheels for any disc brake conversion. So, if you still have the 14 X 5 original wheels, they won't fit.
ya i saw that you have to have 15" so i guess ill probably get some new rims too. i have 14" alum slotted rims right now with 1 14" steel wheel off of a toyota lol so i kind of want a matching set anyways lol.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:52 AM
connor90
4th Gear Member

i would also like to know how well these would fit. its a tire and wheel package. i got these when i put in a search for '65 mustang wheels but i thought that 7" was usually the widest you wanted to go and these are 8". pretty good deal tho http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...amp;vid=008788
Old 12-23-2006, 02:20 AM
JamesW

Here's some info

http://midnightdsigns.com/james/Disc%20Brakes.htm
Old 12-23-2006, 03:28 PM
roush69stang

I'm curently building a nine inch using a kit that consists of caddilac rotors and pontiac trans am calipers. little bit over 500 bucks with brakets and prop. valve.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:28 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

I did the Granada/Monarch disc brake swap on my fastback several years ago. Really painless swap. The only changes I made were a larger master cylinder ( used one for an F150) and the Granada tie rod ends. My car has the manual brake setup and I saw no reason to change it.

This conversion was undoubtably the single greatest enhancement I made to my car as far as drivability goes, bar none, (although the rack and pinion conversion wasa really nice touch also). It totally did away with the adventures in red-light braking. The brakes track nice and straight.
I had 14" centerlines on it at the time and and they did scrape. I hit the back of the calipers with a die grinder and knocked off the casting line and there was no more scraping.

[IMG]local://upfiles/57088/C353049F53E34CB0B9EA88383076B9F8.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-23-2006, 06:29 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

Isn't there a member, Degins I believe, who sells those kits?
Old 12-23-2006, 07:36 PM
connor90
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fastbackford351

I did the Granada/Monarch disc brake swap on my fastback several years ago. Really painless swap. The only changes I made were a larger master cylinder ( used one for an F150) and the Granada tie rod ends. My car has the manual brake setup and I saw no reason to change it.

This conversion was undoubtably the single greatest enhancement I made to my car as far as drivability goes, bar none, (although the rack and pinion conversion wasa really nice touch also). It totally did away with the adventures in red-light braking. The brakes track nice and straight.
I had 14" centerlines on it at the time and and they did scrape. I hit the back of the calipers with a die grinder and knocked off the casting line and there was no more scraping.

[IMG]local://upfiles/57088/C353049F53E34CB0B9EA88383076B9F8.jpg[/IMG]
ya im pretty sure thats what im going to do. does anyone know where i can get some cheap american racing torq-thrust wheels. i know you can get some pretty good deals on flea-bay but does anyone know of some other good places?
Old 12-23-2006, 11:41 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: connor90

ya im pretty sure thats what im going to do. does anyone know where i can get some cheap american racing torq-thrust wheels. i know you can get some pretty good deals on flea-bay but does anyone know of some other good places?
I was gonna say ebay, but be ready for a set with some road rash.

Pep Boys maybe? I remember seeing them in there at one time or another.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:51 AM
connor90
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Clu7ch

ORIGINAL: connor90

I was gonna say ebay, but be ready for a set with some road rash.

Pep Boys maybe? I remember seeing them in there at one time or another.
ya i wouldnt really mind getting some used ones with some scratches and road rash if they're cheap...thenthey would match the rest of my car .
Old 12-24-2006, 08:02 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

Hey man, if you can deal with pre-road rashed rims, go for it.

Here's one, butI suggest using www.hammersnipe.com to catch it if you really want it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Torqu...spagenameZWDVW

GL, there's a few more there, I didn't look too much, just finished spending a fortune on ebay this week. Went from a $750 check to $175 in 3 days. [](Note, I did pay my bills first. LOL!!)

I gotta schedule more appointments for myself! []

Quick Reply: Disc Brake Conversion Kit