Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Help With Leaking Stainless Brake Fittings

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 09:40 PM
palerider
4th Gear Member

Default Help With Leaking Stainless Brake Fittings

Just put a set of prebent stainless lines from NPD on my car last weekend. The rear line fitting going into the distribution blockhad a leak - tightened down and cracked bottom of distibution block (bad luck - 2 steps forward one step back).

Got another distribution blockfrom JJ mustang (used) was suppose to be off the same year but had smaller female openings all around on the block For the front I got adapters to fit line fittings. Could not findthe size adapters I needed for rear lines.I took rear lines (one going to master cylinder to block the other from block to rear end brakes) to local auto parts stores and had them reflared with smaller size fittings to fit the distribution block I got from JJs.

Well to make a long story short the lines the part store flared are leaking at the fittings going into distribution block. The front lines with adapters on distribtion blockarefine. Pulled off leaking fittings andno burrs or scratches on flares. Did not pull distribution block to look for scratches (will probably do tomorrow).Any tips on would be appreciated.

Tried tightening and retightening - did not help. I probably should have sent the distribution block back to JJs (still might) but thought the parts store should be able to reflare with new fittingsand not have any problems.If I send the distribution block back and try to get one with proper size female openings - will need to get a newbrake line for back (if you can follow all this).

Any advice would be apreciated
Old 12-27-2006, 06:03 PM
palerider
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Help With Leaking Stainless Brake Fittings

Just thought I'd post an update in case some unfortunate sole runs into similiar situation and stumbles accross this post in a search.

Was able to get to work (knock on wood). Apparently distribtuon block for power drums on a 1970 is different than regular drums. Since no one make aftermarket for power drums (can get for regular and disk) - you can use block from regular drums but will need to put new fitting on lines going into distribution blocks.

With the stainless lines I was not getting a good seal with used distribution block - ended up using adapters so that I could get a good on the lines lines.

Moral of the story - upgrade to disk