Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Couple of Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 02:12 PM
lthompson05

Default RE: Couple of Questions

I have a crate 302, and I do believe they are stock headers. By bogs down, I mean that I will be driving normally, not accelerating at say 30 mph. If i floor it, it sounds like too much fuel is getting into the engine and it is getting choked up. The engine almost dies and starts to sputter. After about 3 seconds of that, it will pick up again. Same thing happens at idol. It's pretty annoying.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:21 AM
noroof66
3rd Gear Member

Could also be that you're not getting enough fuel. Bad or clogged filter will do the same thing.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:47 AM
lthompson05

I recently replaced the fuel filter so I don't think that's the problem.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:47 PM
tdlabru
1st Gear Member

Tried the plugs yet?
Old 12-29-2006, 03:12 PM
lthompson05

No, how much would that cost and how easy is it to do by oneself? I just bought the carb cleaner last night and I'm about to do that.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:18 PM
tdlabru
1st Gear Member

The plugs are easy to replace, took me maybe a half an hour tops (make sure you have the spark plug socket). Autolite Platinum plugs are about $2.50 each from Autozone.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:35 PM
lthompson05

Thanks, I'll do that today and get back to you.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:21 PM
highhilleer
2nd Gear Member

Since you ask and I like spending other peoples $$$
IMHO the first thing you should purchase is a Factory Shop Manual it provides all the details of the things you need to do to the car to keep it and you happy. However, you have a modified car, e.g. the carb and heads, so you should also get a good book on the 289/302 engines.
Spend your money on the basics and getting the car to run correctly BEFORE going for performance!!! I always begin my relationship with a "new" used car with a complete tune up (plugs, points, dist. cap and wires, set dwell and timing), spray cleaning of carb, replace all filters and fluids. etc. This will establish a baseline for future mods.
Since you sound like a novice (not a slam, we all started that way) a couple of hints about the spark plugs. Change them one at a time, that way you do not get the wrong wires on the plugs. Verify the gap is correct before installing, I believe 0.035" for a stock ignition system. The place you buy the plugs will be happy to sell you a gauge for this (pretty cheap). While there buy a short piece of heater hose that fits snuggly over the ceramic part of the plug. Use this to start the plug into the head several turns before "seating" the plugs with the spark plug socket. Put antisieze on the plug threads, really helps next time you go to remove them.
Since you already have a larger than stock carb (yours is 600 CFM, stock was about 480 CFM) and better flowing heads you will get good benefit from headers. However, I would be really suprised if you can install GT 40 heads with a stock exhaust manifold. What do yours look like, massive cast iron parts or tubes?
I would stay with the stock shifter for now, are you having problems with it?
What kind of ignition do you have on the car? Stock? Electronic???
Old 12-30-2006, 12:46 AM
lthompson05

ORIGINAL: highhilleer

Since you ask and I like spending other peoples $$$
IMHO the first thing you should purchase is a Factory Shop Manual it provides all the details of the things you need to do to the car to keep it and you happy. However, you have a modified car, e.g. the carb and heads, so you should also get a good book on the 289/302 engines.
Spend your money on the basics and getting the car to run correctly BEFORE going for performance!!! I always begin my relationship with a "new" used car with a complete tune up (plugs, points, dist. cap and wires, set dwell and timing), spray cleaning of carb, replace all filters and fluids. etc. This will establish a baseline for future mods.
Since you sound like a novice (not a slam, we all started that way) a couple of hints about the spark plugs. Change them one at a time, that way you do not get the wrong wires on the plugs. Verify the gap is correct before installing, I believe 0.035" for a stock ignition system. The place you buy the plugs will be happy to sell you a gauge for this (pretty cheap). While there buy a short piece of heater hose that fits snuggly over the ceramic part of the plug. Use this to start the plug into the head several turns before "seating" the plugs with the spark plug socket. Put antisieze on the plug threads, really helps next time you go to remove them.
Since you already have a larger than stock carb (yours is 600 CFM, stock was about 480 CFM) and better flowing heads you will get good benefit from headers. However, I would be really suprised if you can install GT 40 heads with a stock exhaust manifold. What do yours look like, massive cast iron parts or tubes?
I would stay with the stock shifter for now, are you having problems with it?
What kind of ignition do you have on the car? Stock? Electronic???
I have a feeling you're going to be very helpful. I'm definitely a novice, no offense taken. I've done most of the tune-up work on the car to start with a good baseline. I really have no idea how to install the plugs and didn't try to do it today. I know where they are and all that, but I didn't feel like messing up the engine. Any instructions you can add would be wonderful. The GT40 heads came with the engine. On the receipt it says GT40 heads 302 - 345 horsepower. The headers I'm pretty sure are stock. I was thinking abou tri-y's. Is that a good choice? The ignition I believe is stock. Thanks for all your help, sorry that I don't know too much about all this yet.