Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Please help...need to fix spark plug mess up

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 03:49 AM
morg68stang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Please help...need to fix spark plug mess up

I know I've posted quite a few times about this subject, but I'm just itching to get my car back running. I just pulled one of the plugs and measured the gap at almost exactly 1/16"...that's about .06 gap. OK...nuff for now...going to bed.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:56 AM
longlive289s
3rd Gear Member

ya that will do it.....your looking for about .33
Old 12-27-2006, 01:32 PM
SuperHoss
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: longlive289s

i worked at schucks auto parts for quite awhile, autolite plats are pre gapped...u messed up the wires. trust me, ive done it a thousand times and denyed doing it till i gave up trying to figure out what the problem was and re did the wiring. if u need a wiring diagram check the net, bunch of em or if ya got a book that helps too but ill bet you $50 thats the problem. that will cause backfiring and it running like ****
The autolite platinums are not pre-gapped to exact measurements, I've been through too many sets to know the answer to that...gaps varying from 15-65 thoudandths.

morg68stang-Autolite Platinums will serve you well, if you catch them at the right time then you can take advantage of the 3 year warranty offered with them. I drive my mustang a lot and normally go through a set a year. I told the guy at the autoparts store how often I go through them, and he told me they would exchange them anyway. I stick to around 35-40 thousandths...35 in thewarmer weather and 40 in the cooler weather.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:55 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rmodel65

get rid of the platniums 1st get some old plain autolites set the gap did u do a cap/rotor button? makes sure all the wires are pushed down all the way. u didnt cross any of the wires up I alway change them one by one!
I did mine like that and my timing was still about 150* off.

Dunno how, but it was. I had to flip the cap and dial it bacl a little bit to get it to fire, than a little more and it purred like a tiger!

What? It's a 6, did you really expect it to growl??
Old 12-27-2006, 03:52 PM
morg68stang
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info everybody. I just pulled the plugs and gapped them all to .035 and it's running much better. I'm thinking it needs a timing adjustment, though. At idle the engine seems to want to smother a little then surge. I just put a timing light on it and it looks like it's about 1deg retarted. That is if the marks the previous owner put on it are for TDC and 6 BTDC. Don't really have time to finish up as I have to finish lunch and head back to work.

I do have one more question, though. How do you get to the bolt that holds the dist down? My AC compressor is in the way of an open end wrench and I can't get to it with a socket since the dist is right over it. Do I have to remove the compressor? I wouldn't think so since this is something you'd do with any regular tune up.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:06 PM
Smothers
3rd Gear Member

You can buy a wrench designed for the dizzy bolt. Its an offset deal.

ORIGINAL: morg68stang

Thanks for the info everybody. I just pulled the plugs and gapped them all to .035 and it's running much better. I'm thinking it needs a timing adjustment, though. At idle the engine seems to want to smother a little then surge. I just put a timing light on it and it looks like it's about 1deg retarted. That is if the marks the previous owner put on it are for TDC and 6 BTDC. Don't really have time to finish up as I have to finish lunch and head back to work.

I do have one more question, though. How do you get to the bolt that holds the dist down? My AC compressor is in the way of an open end wrench and I can't get to it with a socket since the dist is right over it. Do I have to remove the compressor? I wouldn't think so since this is something you'd do with any regular tune up.
[IMG]local://upfiles/26569/B491201FAD4E4B4D9CC540AE4296CA0C.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-27-2006, 05:48 PM
longlive289s
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SuperHoss

i worked at schucks auto parts for quite awhile, autolite plats are pre gapped...u messed up the wires. trust me, ive done it a thousand times and denyed doing it till i gave up trying to figure out what the problem was and re did the wiring. if u need a wiring diagram check the net, bunch of em or if ya got a book that helps too but ill bet you $50 thats the problem. that will cause backfiring and it running like ****
The autolite platinums are not pre-gapped to exact measurements, I've been through too many sets to know the answer to that...gaps varying from 15-65 thoudandths.
strange....ours always were, never needed to gap em
Old 12-27-2006, 06:12 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SuperHoss

strange....ours always were, never needed to gap em
+1

I bought platinum plugs once (and ONLY once) and even after being instructed not to gap them, I did so just to check, they were very close to what they needed to be (I'm sure they come pre-gapped). I think someone may have grabbed the wrong box or maybe they got banged into something during a very rough delivery.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:15 PM
SuperHoss
2nd Gear Member

I didn't get the wrong box, they were platinums...so I guess they were roughed up, but that makes about 2 or 3 sets in a row. Don't get me wrong, I like the plugs a lot...better than standard Autolites or Boshes, plus they seem to last longer.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:25 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

To each their own. My GF insisted on getting ALL motorcraft parts for her T-Bird. I couldn't even get her to buy a Purolator oil filter even tho it was like 3.50 cheaper.

I did notice the platinum plugs did seem to give me slightly increased mileage.

Quick Reply: Please help...need to fix spark plug mess up