Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Please help...need to fix spark plug mess up

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 08:30 PM
SuperHoss
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Please help...need to fix spark plug mess up

I'll put it like this...I've had some that were dead on, some with hardly no gap, and some with a gap bigger than the thickness of a quarter.

One thing though...my grandfather is a diehard Motorcraft person as well (oil, filters...you name it he uses it), I don't get it...some things out there are better than Motorcraft.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:39 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

You got a bad batch bud. [:@][&:]

I only bought them once like I said and they were all damn near dead on if not perfect. I heard you're more liable to bust up the ceremic if you try to gap those.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:43 PM
SuperHoss
2nd Gear Member

Oh well, it happens...I've busted my fair share of ceramic though, at least I figured out what not to do.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:46 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

ORIGINAL: SuperHoss

I'll put it like this...I've had some that were dead on, some with hardly no gap, and some with a gap bigger than the thickness of a quarter.

One thing though...my grandfather is a diehard Motorcraft person as well (oil, filters...you name it he uses it), I don't get it...some things out there are better than Motorcraft.

yes but the car is designed to work with factory part no reason to deprive it of them i like to go motorcraft on oil filters or wix
Old 12-27-2006, 08:54 PM
SuperHoss
2nd Gear Member

Well, I use a K&N air-filter, Amsoil, and a WIX oil filter...why not improve on what you already have.

My grandfather has an '85 Ranger, a '95 F-350, and a 2000 F-150...all of it gets Motorcraft, even my grandmothers Cougar gets it.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:10 PM
69FECoupe
3rd Gear Member

FWIW, aMotorcraft filter IS aPurolator filter. Check this: http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html
Old 12-27-2006, 09:16 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

If you put the original Motorcraft B-42's with a gap of about 0.034-37 you can rule out the spark plugs as being the problem. I have never liked plats. If you have dry sooty deposits on the plugs, that indicates a rich mixture or weak ignition. It causes misfiring, hard starting and hesitation. Check for a clogged air cleaner, high float level, sticky choke or worn ignition points.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:10 PM
SuperHoss
2nd Gear Member

In carbureted motors plugs frequently wear out, no matter what type of plug or the gap that's on it...even new vehicles have a 100,000 mile tune-up requiring the plugs to be changed.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:20 PM
morg68stang
1st Gear Member

O.K. This is strange. I gapped the plugs and advanced the timing a little bit and it still runs like crap, but here's the kicker. I tried to turn the fan on to my defroster and it kills the engine. I turn the fan off and the engine comes back on. Turn it on and the engine starts to die again. Any ideas? Just for reference, the only things I have done is put on a 45,000 volt coil, plug wires and plugs. It already had an electronic ignition conversion in it.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:30 PM
SuperHoss
2nd Gear Member

Start the engine up and pull the plug wires offof the distributorcap and replace themone at a time. If the engine doesn't lug then you've found the cylinder with the problem, if the engine lugs then that cylinder is operating properly. Pull the wire, listen to the engine, put the wire back on and go to the next one. This will at least tell you where your problem is.

Quick Reply: Please help...need to fix spark plug mess up