Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 12:33 AM
jts302
1st Gear Member

Default please help

i have a 1965 I need help im trying to take my leaf spring off and i cant get the front bolt out is there a trick to this?
Old 12-31-2006, 12:37 AM
ford65stang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: please help

hmm, i havent tackled that task yet. Ill look at mine tomorrow and see what's up.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:38 AM
middiepride
2nd Gear Member

load it with penetrating oil or something like that and give it a night. try shocking it with a mallet to break the hold. if you have to though, break out the cutting wheel. you could also heat it lightly enough to expand the metal and break the hold on the bolt. good luck and remember to breathe before you smash stuff.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:44 AM
JamesW

If the penetrating oil and hammering doesn't loosen the front bolt, be prepared to go use/rent/borrow a Sawsall to cut the bolt. Expect to use several blades on each side too.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:08 AM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

If the suspension is old, penetrating oil and hammering will be of little help because the bolt has rusted to the bushing (which is why it doesn't want to come out).

I have found IME that the sawzaw is the best tool for removing it, siply slip between the leaf and the frame rail and pull the trigger, be sure to brace leaf so it doesn't fall on you when you are through

Use Tungsten Carbide Sawzall Blades It will take 2 per bolt and about 5-10 minutes to cut through

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...3e7+1167598490
Old 12-31-2006, 01:11 AM
ford65stang
2nd Gear Member

also anouther trick my old grandpa told me is Diesel fuel....if wd-40 wont work ....let diesel soak on it for about 20 -30 minutes....and it worked like a champ for him. This was used years ago, on some engine parts. I hope you dont have to break out the cut off wheel or sawsall.. good luck
Old 12-31-2006, 01:26 AM
JamesW

You did remove the entire rear end first.....right???

Old 12-31-2006, 01:42 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

my rear springs came apart fairly easily compared to everyones problems getting theirs out? i removed the rear, dropped the spring down from the back and rocked them right to left then tapped them out with a hammer and punch
Old 12-31-2006, 03:17 AM
thepepsifiend
1st Gear Member

OK I have been wrestling with the same problem on my rear end/suspension swap out I have been working on this weekend. That was by far the most difficult part so far. If yor situation is anything like mine your bolt has seized to the steel insert inside of the old leaf spring. I tried all the tension and hammers and lubricants out there. Then I spent 2 1/2 hours on a sawzall only to get one side of the bolt cut off. I was not looking forward to doing it on the other side of the bolt and the other leaf spring. Finally my friend brought over his angle grinder and we hooked up a metal/steel cutting that made short work of the bolts, less than 5 minutes for the other 3 cuts! A whole morning wasted. If you can do this I highly recommend it, it will make your life much easier.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:31 PM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

As others have stated, just cut the thing off. You'll beat your head on the wall and spend an entire weekend frustrated if not. The thing is 40+ years old and has rusted together. Just get a good cut off wheel and make short work of it.