Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

NY Title questions, help please

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 10:31 PM
djsprinklesnjo
2nd Gear Member

Default NY Title questions, help please

quick question. when buying a classic car, hows does it work with a title. someone was telling me they dont have titles for those old cars. just as long as its registered.

but this doesnt sound right.

so this leads me to my next question.

if there isnt a title. how do you go about checking if someone else still owns the title or to just get a new title?

im in NY and its for a 68 mustang.
thanks
Old 01-02-2007, 10:42 PM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: NY Title questions, help please

Dunno how ya'll Yankee folks do it, but there better be a title for it where I am from or I won't buy it.

On a serious note - I'd call the local DMV in your county and ask. I have no clue about NY or any of the laws there. I do know in FL, the DMV titles everything they can for the tax reasons. They even put tax and titles on Manufactored homes, lol.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:01 PM
djsprinklesnjo
2nd Gear Member

this is what i found so far but still confused. so it seems like i need a transferable registration. right?
www.dmv.org and
www.nysdmv.com

Q. Which Vehicles Must Be Titled?
A. New York State issues a Certificate of Title (MV-999) for:
[ul][*]most motor vehicles of model year 1973 or newer;[*]motorboats, model year 1987 or newer, that are 14 feet or longer; and,[*]manufactured homes, model year 1995, or newer, that are 8 feet or more in width, or 40 feet or more in length, or cover at least 320 square feet when erected on site. [/ul]
New York State does not issue a title certificate for any motor vehicle of model year 1972 or older, travel or utility trailer that weighs less than 1,000 pounds, or limited used motorcycle (including a moped).
Q. What's The Difference Between A Title And A Registration?
A. For most owners, a title certificate proves ownership of a car, truck, motorcycle, motorboat, or manufactured home. The title is used to transfer it to another owner.
A registration allows a driver to operate a motor vehicle on a public road, or a motorboat on a public waterway. Manufactured homes are not registered.
A transferable registration is issued for a 1972 or older motor vehicle, or a 1986 or older motorboat. The transferable portion proves ownership, and is used to sell or give ownership to another person. The registration portion allows the vehicle to be operated on a public road, or a motorboat on a public waterway.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:18 PM
sxs191
2nd Gear Member

You are correct, it is a transferable registration. It says transferable on the registration. The current owner signs the back it and you (the new owner) signs it and that's ALL you need.It's a piece of cake, just don't lose it or keep it in you glovebox afterwards.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:21 PM
sxs191
2nd Gear Member

Mine is a 68 also and it did not have a title, only the transferable registration.As for if there is a lein on the vehicle, I think it says that on the transferable registration also.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:23 PM
djsprinklesnjo
2nd Gear Member

ok so just as long as the current owner (seller) has the registration in his name and signs it to me (the buyer). is there anything else to look for to prove its real. for example how does it work with VIN numbers esp if they dont match due to engine swaps, also with correct odometer readings. etc.

btw i really do appreciate everyones help. definitly calms my nerves for doing this the first time.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:30 AM
sxs191
2nd Gear Member

If they swap engines it won't change the VIN. The VIN is on the dash pad of the vehicle. (I think it's on the passanger corner side) and on the window registration sticker (if it has one) The VIN on the car should definitly match the one on the registration. The DMV doesn't care about the odometer reading either because the car is so old.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:45 PM
sixtysix
2nd Gear Member

They sign over the back of the window registration.I am on Long island andI bought a1966 in july.