Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

new project car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 06:20 AM
dw_moto

Default new project car?

I am looking for a new project car, something I can use as a daily driver eventually. I found a 1969 Mustang Coupe in a local junkyard. It has a 302 with a duel barrel carb and an automatic trans. It has just over 100k miles. The body is straight and free of major rust spots. It needs a lot of cosmetic work but it supposedly runs. The junkyard man is a honest guy (I've worked with him on my last project) but he'll try to get every penny out of the car. What is a fair price for the car? I'll try topost some pictures. Thanks for all your help.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:26 AM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: new project car?

It realy depends on the condition of the car. Have you checked frame rails, trunk and floor, fire wall and everything you can for rust? If you're only looking at a few patches for cosmetics and the frame is straight, you've found a gem in the rough.

Also, just because it has a 302 does not mean that's the motor that came with the car. Get the VIN number and some pics to us and we can go from there. It's hard to put a price on something w/out seeing and knowing.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:49 AM
longlive289s
3rd Gear Member

def.....find vin numbers and make sure the engine agrees with the body. frames rails arnt bent (ie not in major acciedent). rear wheel rust. that is a major one. inside and out check those. along with rear wheel (which this majorly goes along with) check for paint bubbles. a lot of ppl will look at a car WAY to quick and fall in love but take insanly close look. if u see bubbles in the paint.....their is rust. make sure engine actually runs and take it for a test drive. lastly....u need to know the engine has been modded since it has duel carbs so u might wanna take a look closer at the engine to see if ne thing else has been changed. not that it is bad but u could argue that it isnt original and get the price down a bit.

but if your looking for a price +1 for bulldog. we need pics as far as "it needs a lot of cosmetic work".
Old 01-10-2007, 09:38 AM
OhioMachIRunner69
2nd Gear Member

The 302 isnot a desireable engine for the year and it is not a collectable body style. I have seen completely restored examples of 69 coupes with 302 2V sell for just over $10,000. Pictures would definately help us with getting you a fair value. I'm picturing a car that is pretty rough. I hate to say what its worth without any more info. You definately need to break down the cars VIN and find out exactly what the car came with. Did it come with A/C, A/T or M/T, etc. See if the car runs and if it does you need to get it on a rack and see how bad it is underneath. Look for non factory welds or patches where the car might have been wrecked.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:11 AM
coda618
3rd Gear Member

Most importantly, if you are looking for a reliable/safe daily driver, it is going to take some cash to get you there. Consider that you will prob have toreplace brakes andsuspension etc..Also, never had one, but I would think a dual carb set up is prob not the best set up or easiest to maintain for a daily driver. From what you are describing it sound like it may be a good project car, but a ways from a daily driver.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:56 PM
scott_m_mil
2nd Gear Member

OhioMach,

Just curious, why was the 302 not a desirable engine in 69. Is this something to do with the top end, the bottom end or the engine as a whole.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 01-10-2007, 02:17 PM
coda618
3rd Gear Member

I think he meant that the 302 is nothing special, it was the base model V8 and they are in abundance. Nothing wrong with the engine per se.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:58 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

$2500 mre then fair

my car was born a 302, now its a 351
Old 01-10-2007, 03:02 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

The way to go about this is to ask the junyard dealer what he wants for the car, then get the VIN and some pictures and get back with us to see if we think it is a fair price.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:37 PM
OhioMachIRunner69
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, there is nothing wrong with the 302, it is a good engine, it was just the base engine. For a daily driver it does not really matter what the engine is. Soaring has a good point; find out what the guy wants for it and see if he is crazy or not.

Quick Reply: new project car?