Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Could it take an STI?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 07:19 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Could it take an STI?

ORIGINAL: sportybry

I would seriously doubt you could take an STi. The other 2 yes...they have no traction...

The magazine 0-60 times that quote 4.9 seconds are with light launches. I myself own one, and they can launch HARD. 0-60 in 4.4-4.5 isn't uncommon. If the car has had a simple ECU upgrade, which has bumped the rev limiter just 400RPM, they can eliminate 1 shift in the 0-60 romp, dropping times into the ridiculously low 4's. Add a downpipe and free-air intake along with that ECU re-map and they're up another 75HP, and become sub 4 second 0-60 cars.

Thumpin455 - an STi is close to 13 flat in the quarter straight from the factory. With the above mods they are deep, DEEP into the 12s -- and that's on normal street tires. I'm not as convinced as you are that your car could take one...

- SB
Most I have seen get mid 13s pretty easy, depends on who is in it, and where they are located, some hav ebeen slower. Also when you can get a 1.5 60ft on street tires, and low 1.4s on slicks, while running mid 10s, most STi and Evos are just lookin at an old car leaving them like they are standing still.. Be advised I own more than one car, actually if all were driveable and insured, one for each day of the month.. I build stuff to do what I want it to do. Will my Mustang run with an Evo or STi? Probably not, I dont need another drag car. One obvious drag car and one sleeper is more than enough, dont ya think? One could probably beat my daily driver too, but its an economy car.

When ya git your STi into the tens, have fun with the trans and half shafts STi and Evo are impressive, and I admire the AWD, as long as I dont have to replace the clutch. But my fast cars arent Fords.. hence the Thumpin455 name. think Pontiac with big engines in light cars.. a 400 is small to me. 351s are tiny and a 302 is miniscule..lol.. Ci = cheap speed. because I am not wealthy.

Dont let the rattle can paint fool you like it does so many others.. The LS1 isnt a slouch either, but is my economy car.

[IMG]local://upfiles/14646/6F8E9EB64E584CE7BBC311B505BDD19C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14646/DE9CAFB7A46E4C3F8D66A2473E951E01.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-11-2007, 08:58 PM
LCC
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dodgestang

ORIGINAL: 65mojoe

I think he is being slightly optimistic. What cam and head setup are you running hondakilla?
You have phrased much more kindly than I would.

To be direct...I'm sorry, you don't have 350 RWHP, you don't even have 350 Flywheel horsepower. I know this without even know what your engine combo is. This is how I know:

How do I smoke the tires at a stand stillwith my 65' GT that has a 4-speed? I know it has enough torque and enough power, but I just can't get them to go.
Add to that your avatar picture which appears to have 215s in the front which to play the numbers inevitably get paired up with 215-225 in the rear...If you had 350 hp even at the flywheel with zero accessories, after hooking everything up, and running it through your drivetrain, you would have started a post that said "How do I start my car without smoking the tires?"

Now with that said (because I am not trying to flame so don't read too much into things), I am fairly certainyour car is lighter than an STI (all that safety equipment and sound deadener is heavy ), but it will not have the top speed or the HP, so the only race you might win is at the 1/8 mile...and not because you have more power, you will have to win on reaction time. Find a local 1/8 track, go there for a couple weekends, practice your launch, then call him out to the track and teach him to drive You will lose (technically everyone loses, but that is another post) in street racing because they very rarely have a definite start and stop line and always deteriorate into "I can drive faster than you" andthe STIwill have significantly more top speed and high speed stability than your mustang as it is right now.

X2
Hard to beat at the track, just smile as they go by me on the street...
Old 01-11-2007, 09:24 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

>>>>>I have a rebuilt 302 with a 4-barrell carb, headers, high-performance intake manifold, new ignition system and a high performance K & N air filter, I have around 350 hp. <<<<<<
These mods certainly do not add up to 350 HP in a 302. You may have around 250 though. That being set right, you probably just need to keep quiet about racing that AWD car until you get some good AFR heads, a weiand stealth intake manifold, some long tube headers and a hellava upgrade on your cam. Once you get to turning low 13's and high 12's in the quarter, then start calling out all the ricers. Don't embarass us with your set-up thinking you can beat him just because you have a Mustang.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:08 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

>>>>>I have a rebuilt 302 with a 4-barrell carb, headers, high-performance intake manifold, new ignition system and a high performance K & N air filter, I have around 350 hp. <<<<<<
These mods certainly do not add up to 350 HP in a 302. You may have around 250 though. That being set right, you probably just need to keep quiet about racing that AWD car until you get some good AFR heads, a weiand stealth intake manifold, some long tube headers and a hellava upgrade on your cam. Once you get to turning low 13's and high 12's in the quarter, then start calling out all the ricers. Don't embarass us with your set-up thinking you can beat him just because you have a Mustang.
x2, my 67 was slow.. Infact it was the slowest V8 car I have owned.. no matter how fast I thought it was back then..
Old 01-11-2007, 10:36 PM
hondakilla

Just because all of those mods don't add up to 350 hp doesn't mean that I don't have it. For one thing the guy that re-built the engine in my car put a bunch of other stuff on it and bored out the cylinders (how much? I haven't checked) and another thing is that just because I don't have the skills to smoke my tires at a STAND STILL doesn't mean that I don't have enough horsepower.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:39 PM
Yonco
3rd Gear Member

hey, hondakiller, theres a reason ur name isnt " STIkiller"
Old 01-11-2007, 10:44 PM
hondakilla

What do you mean by that?
Old 01-11-2007, 10:46 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

You missed the point. With 350 HP you need ZERO skill to have a smokey start.
We're here to help get you where you want to go though. No posturing needed.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:49 PM
hondakilla

Thanks.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:03 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

im guessing 16. 17 max.

[/align]

Quick Reply: Could it take an STI?