Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Beware of Indian Steel

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 05:18 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Beware of Indian Steel

I was comparing Corrus (anglo-dutch firm) with american steel mills, not china and indian steel plants, try reading what I wrote.
problem is the rant was about china/india - not europe.

it is a known fact that the quality of metals manufactured in pakistan, india, china (pretty much that whole part of the world) is poor to say the least. hands down, flat out, just POOR QUALITY.

You guys can't honestly believe that just because something is american made it's better than that of a foreign manufacturer. Everyone has theirarea of expertise.
im not gonna sit here and say we make the best everything - but we do produce quality products in pretty much every field of manufacturing that we are involved in. that being said i have absolutely no problem purchasing things made in canada or europe - but aside from japanese products anything coming out of asia is junk. from electronics to hand tools..... its just junk

Old 01-13-2007, 06:10 PM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

yeah come on guys.....it is like a running joke the world over when you see that little "made in china" or "made in taiwan" or "made in india" sticker its cheap garbage.....

thats not to say if something is american is the best quality it could possibly be by any standard...same goes with europe....when ive been there ive seen some pretty cheap *** flimsy cars.....as well as some really nice quality ones....but dont sit there and say stuff sporting the "made in china" sticker are top end stuff.

as for car quality....just look at the price tag difference....that should tell you the quality of the car and the frills it has. you get what you pay for.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:51 PM
Halz5
2nd Gear Member

"it is a known fact that the quality of metals manufactured in pakistan, india, china (pretty much that whole part of the world) is poor to say the least. hands down, flat out, just POOR QUALITY."

actually thats your opinion not fact.

i'm assuming a mod will be by sometime to close this thread?
Old 01-13-2007, 07:18 PM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

probably not....it seems sorta over with already...im mean theres not much else to say....you can think made in china stuff sucks....or is great...and it really dosent matter what anyone else thinks in anyones opinion since all that really matters is the opinion of the person who is spending their money on the stuff. it pretty much all stems from personal experiences....some have had good experiences with made in china stuff, some have had bad experieces....pretty standard. i dont think its worthy of being a closed thread since its not really hurting or offending anyone, i mean you could argue it hurts chinese peoples feelings or something but then again dosent saying cadillacs and lincoln hurt american peoples feelings?.....its just a debate, and differing of opinion.......the name calling could probably be avoided....but oh well....if your feelings get hurt from someone across the word calling you "mean names" on a web forum you have bigger problems to worry about.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:32 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

if i wanted a non polluting car i wouldve bought the all mighty speed demon Prius!

all hail the Prius![sm=hail.gif]
Old 01-13-2007, 08:00 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

ok, its officially a FACT...

Every year, China imports 4,000 to 6,000 excavators. However, locally made excavators’ share of the market is decreasing due to a lack of certain types of steel and poor quality steel that can not meet manufacturing requirement. It is estimated that in 2005, China’s mining machinery industry will consume 2.6 million tons of steel for steel structures. Moreover, China’s heavy-duty machinery industry will consume more than 3 million tons of steel including steel sheet, steel plate, section materials, high-quality section materials, all types of cold-bend section steel and profiled steel bar. China is also in high demand for importing special steel bar, as it is hard to find similar products in China and locally made products’ quality is poor.
taken from http://www.buyusa.gov/china/en/ccb040206.html

asia lacks quality coking coal, which is a natural ingredient needed to produce quality steel. its not a pro usa rant, its scientific fact.

and btw.....

Old 01-13-2007, 08:35 PM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

Sorry my77 www.buyusa.com might have a slight vested intrest!!!! The artical acutal says "China is also in high demand for importing special steel bar, as it is hard to find similar products in China and locally made products’ quality is poor." car parts hardlyneed special steel bar, the excuvetors the problem is mainly for the hydrolic systems,they mean the high quality 304 and 316 stainless type grades which the price is rocketing due to the demand in china. Also the chinese are doing what i said if ain't any good don't buy it. Also if your steel industy is so good why do you have steel tariffs for imported steel which is a breach of WTO rules?

I would never buy a smart i have a pedel bike as it more practical and has better street cred!!!
Old 01-13-2007, 08:59 PM
jarrettdad
2nd Gear Member

Damn I opened a can of worms with a joke, someone had to get smart.....

But, I am a steelworker, so bite me.

Also if your steel industy is so good why do you have steel tariffs for imported steel which is a breach of WTO rules?
Maybe it's because our steelworkers get paid a living wage? Get benefits? Retirement? A guy in China lives in a mud hut and gets paid a $1 a day, I make over $20 an hour, now why do you think theycan produce at a lower cost? How fair is that? So stick your fair trade somewhere it's needed.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:12 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

I guess everyone here has their opinion on this matter but I have to say I'd buy USA parts before foriegn parts if I can help it.

Its a shame when I can look on a apple juice container that says "contents from China", when 20 miles down the road, apples are rotting in the feild becuase the market has made it cheaper to let them rot then paying people to pic them.

Its a shame when you buy a 2 ton jack stand from lowes that snaps when weight is put on it. Thankfully no one was under the vehicle...made in china..

And finally, its a shame when a simple c-clamp breaks. How do you mess up a c-clamp? The swivel head broke..

Im not saying china ONLY makes junk, but what do they say about stereotypes? They are just that becuase for the most part it is true.

And about the low quality metal, China has been producingpoor metal fora very long time. Check out their industrial history during the late Cold War times...
Old 01-13-2007, 09:58 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

Sorry my77 www.buyusa.com might have a slight vested intrest!!!!
actually its .gov

i had a set of drill bits from Habor Freight (a store that sells made in china / india tools for cheeeep) well, i went to drill a hole and the bit BENT. drill bits are supposed to snap if things go wrong, not bend. at the same time i bought the bits, i picked up a tap and die set. i was unable to tap a single hole in mild steel before pieces of the tap started to break off.

Its a shame when you buy a 2 ton jack stand from lowes that snaps when weight is put on it. Thankfully no one was under the vehicle...made in china..

And finally, its a shame when a simple c-clamp breaks. How do you mess up a c-clamp? The swivel head broke..
brave man using chinese jack stand LOL - i had a c-clamp (made in pakistan i think) actually snap in half.

wrenches that bend, sockets that snap, clamps that break, and jacks that colapse. paddy, you can buy india / china products with pride - when your car falls on your head you'll know why

Quick Reply: Beware of Indian Steel