Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

351W roller block

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 06:06 PM
thepepsifiend
1st Gear Member

Default 351W roller block

Hello Everybody,

so now that I have a solid rear end that can handle higher horsepower I am looking into putting a new engine in the mustang. What I would like to do is get a 351W/5.8L roller block, that way I don't have to deal with converting the engine so it can handle a hydraulic roller camshaft. I would also like to have an EFI setup for the intake. Everywhere I look only really sells EFI equipment for the 5.0. So my question is this: What should I be looking for in terms of a donor engine? Is there a pretty much spot on perfect engine to put in? Also I know I would need a 351 upper and lower efi intake but would the rest of the efi setup for the 5.0 work? Could I use the ecm/mass flow/wiring harness from the 5.0? Thanks for all the help!
Old 01-13-2007, 06:11 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 351W roller block

http://www.fordcobraengines.com/351W...elInjected.htm
Old 01-13-2007, 06:23 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Try these guys. Unlike other aftermarket systems, they use MAF and not a speed density.

From the factory, you'll need to look for an F-series pickup or E-series van. The upper intake may be a little tall, but I would think the upper from a 5.0 would fit. Maybe someone here knows the answer to that question. Another option would be an adapter to fit a 5.0/302 intake on the 351.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:24 PM
thepepsifiend
1st Gear Member

Its not so much the intake manifolds I am having a problem with. Those I can get pretty easily (Ford Racing, Edelbrock, and TrickFlow all make 351W efi intakes). What I am not sure of is the rest of the system. Will the rest of the components from a 5.0 setup work. For example can I use the eec-iv mass air processor, mass airflow sensor, wireharness, fuel pump, etc from a 5.0 setup on a 351w. My goal is to put things together piece by piece as money allows. I am trying to stay away from the all in one efi conversion kits likes the Pro-Flo EFI setup that Edelbrock makes. They are pretty spendy and are not necessary what I am looking for. I don't necessarily want a conversion, but the actual efi setup. Plus the systems are pretty easy to find for the 5.0 setup. For example I can get a kit that includes the computer, sensors, hoses and clamps. I can get the wiring harness, I can get the throttle body, I can get the injectors, etc. I just need to if the 5.0 setups will work on a 351 or if their is something I need to adapt.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:34 PM
LCC
4th Gear Member

Any 5.0 ECM will work on a 351. Make shure you have a correct cam and firing order for 351 and the comp will do the rest. Oh, and the headers are different.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:49 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

i'd say chances are slim without some computer flashing. for the record the 351's and 302's had different shapes where the lower and upper meet - the 302s were oval and the 351's were kinda squared. have you thought about grabbing a holley commander setup? they really arent that expensive especially after taking into account upgraded components for a stock EFI setup.

i had a holley projection that i sold on ebay brand new int he box for 1200 with a old laptop for tuning and aftermarket software that was way better than holley's

look here:

http://www.holley.com/950-22S.asp

oh yeah, and to make a non roller block roller ya just use the retrofit lifters, they cost a little more but no machining required and could potentially save you from spending to buy a roller block
Old 01-13-2007, 07:58 PM
LCC
4th Gear Member

The stock ECU on any 5.0 with mas air will work. No flashing. Yes, the lower intake is different, the cam, etc...But he has said that he can get a intake. So that being siad. A GT40 upper (5.0 or explorer) with the propper lower and the top end is done.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:03 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

but he also talked about better throttle body, and prolly other parts. now i dunno what most yards charge for a wiring harness/brain/efi setup - but im thinkin factor that + upgrades + used icky harness = worth buyin the holley setup.

just my .03
Old 01-13-2007, 08:12 PM
thepepsifiend
1st Gear Member

So I have really been fighting with my friend over this. I would kind of like to stick with a carb. Their easier, cheaper, and keep it looking fairly classic. My friend (a 3rd gen camaro owner) is convinced that EFI setup is the way to go because of the increased throttle response. What do you guys think. I would be building a pretty mean 351W with either AFR or TFS aluminum heads, roller cam, etc. My goal would be somewhere 450-500 horsepower. What would be the difference between the same engine, one with a demon carb and one with en efi setup. I know the efi setup would run more eifficiently, have better gas mileage, etc. But performance wise am I really going see enough an increase to justify the huge price increase for an EFI setup?
Old 01-13-2007, 08:18 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: thepepsifiend

So I have really been fighting with my friend over this. I would kind of like to stick with a carb. Their easier, cheaper, and keep it looking fairly classic. My friend (a 3rd gen camaro owner) is convinced that EFI setup is the way to go because of the increased throttle response. What do you guys think. I would be building a pretty mean 351W with either AFR or TFS aluminum heads, roller cam, etc. My goal would be somewhere 450-500 horsepower. What would be the difference between the same engine, one with a demon carb and one with en efi setup. I know the efi setup would run more eifficiently, have better gas mileage, etc. But performance wise am I really going see enough an increase to justify the huge price increase for an EFI setup?
yes it will run more efficiently, but with a carb with that setup with the same HP you will get 3mpg, with an efi, you will get 5mpg

Quick Reply: 351W roller block