Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Tail lights (can't figure out) issue.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 04:48 PM
squelch56

Default Tail lights (can't figure out) issue.

Can't figure this one out. Everything (lights) work's in the front. Here is what I have for working lights in the back...
Tail lights... Both work [sm=smiley20.gif]
Singal lights... Only left one works[sm=smiley21.gif]
Brake lights... Neither work [:@]
Hazards... Neither work [sm=smiley35.gif]

I checked the right light bulb and it's fine. I have spent four hours trying to figure it out and I give up. Again, everything in the front works fine. [sm=helpout.gif]
Thanks, Brad

Old 01-14-2007, 04:58 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Tail lights (can't figure out) issue.

Sounds like the turn signal switch.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:05 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Or, it could just be that as wire has gone bad, grounded out or whatever. Get your multi-meter and open the trunk. Unplug the orange/blue wire at the tail light socket and turn your right turn signal on. Take a reading. 0 huh? Now go up front and take off the left kick panel and instrument cluster. Find that orange/blue wire behind the kick panel and take a reading. 0 huh? Go on top of the steering column and find it again and take another reading. Keep taking readings until you get all the way to the turn signal if you keep getting 0 readings. Be sure to have the right turn signal on all this time, or find some way to keep the brake pedal depressed.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:06 PM
mustanglover66
4th Gear Member

check the right pigtail make sure it all the way in the tail light body I had the same problem when I took mine out of storage also replace both flashers
Old 01-14-2007, 10:01 PM
sxs191
2nd Gear Member

OK...I played around with the brakes and got only the right one to work, HOWEVER, it stops when I put on the right signal light. Here's the kicker. When I tested the Orange/blue wire at the tail light, it's dead when I have the right signal on. However, it's hot when I have the brakes on. I can see the hazard and right signal prob being in the switch but I have to figure out what can be wrong with the brake lights... I had to quit for the night cause the battery finally went dead. Maybe I'll grab my schematics again tomorrow andpick it back up after I sleep on it. Or, I'll wait till spring when it's not freezing in my garage. I need to buy a painless harness for the car but at $600, that's on the distant to-do list. For now I just need to rig it to work.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:03 PM
sxs191
2nd Gear Member

The pigtails on this are perminant in the tail light. Couldn't take them out if I wanted to. Makes for a %^$#@ to change the bulbs.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:04 PM
sxs191
2nd Gear Member

And it only has one flasher that I can see... And I looked long for a second one.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:29 AM
mustanglover66
4th Gear Member

on my 66 the secound flasher is supost to be near the glove box but since I don't have a glove box it on sits on the floor. I'm not sure what year car you are working on so it may or may not have two
Old 01-15-2007, 01:32 AM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

Yeah, the Hazard flasher is up under the dash under the glove box. It's bigger then the reg. one.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:52 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

The circuit does not have a sufficient ground. When you turn on the turn signal and the brake lights cease to work, its because the electrical circuit has had to "find" its own ground in order to make the turn signal light. Most likely the circuit is using the filament inside the taillight bulb that energizes for the brake. Electricity seeks the path of least resistance. If the bulb filament becomes the easiest route to ground, then thats what it will use. For example. In my 70 the high beam filaments in the head lights act as a ground for certain light configurations. And if the front grill lights and under bumper turn indicator lights aren't grounded out to the front bumper, the electrical circuit acts like its possessed. Make sure you have grounds.

Quick Reply: Tail lights (can't figure out) issue.