Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

how do you know when to rebuild??

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 03:43 AM
ADRIAN1
2nd Gear Member

Default how do you know when to rebuild??

when i first bought my car ( 1 year ago ) the thing would burn rubber from a complete stop! now it takes off like an old cadilac. i thinking its my tranny and considering to get it rebuilt but how do i know if thats my problem?
note: its a C-4 but i usually manually shift and hardly never keep it in drive....thats another reason i think its my tranny.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:54 AM
6t9 stang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: how do you know when to rebuild??

you can drive your car that way all the time? manually shifting i mean
Old 01-15-2007, 03:57 AM
ADRIAN1
2nd Gear Member

I DO...but i dont think its good.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:49 AM
Lumbergh
2nd Gear Member

I know very little about transmissions, but if you aren't certain if the problem is withthe engine or the transmission, you can test the compression of the engine cylinders. If the compression is good, it's unlikely that the probelm lies with the engine IMO.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:22 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Check the bands on your C4. We have a section in the FAQ about how to tighten them. If they up to snuff, then you may just need a general tuneup on the engine. Check all your fluids carefully.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:58 PM
OhioMachIRunner69
2nd Gear Member

Usual problems with a transmission that needs rebuilt are difficulty putting it in gear, it shifts hard, or it hesitates abnormally when it shifts. It soundsmore likean engine issue to me, perhaps the carb is running too rich and needs leaned out, or your timing is off?? I would have someone do an engine tune up if it looks like it hasnt been serviced in a while and go from there.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:10 PM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

I manually shift my C4 all the time too. I love doing it.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:34 PM
connor90
4th Gear Member

what do you mean by manual shifting with a C4. i would assume you mean that you start in low and then shift to green dot and then to white dot?
Old 01-15-2007, 02:59 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: OhioMachIRunner69

Usual problems with a transmission that needs rebuilt are difficulty putting it in gear, it shifts hard, or it hesitates abnormally when it shifts. It soundsmore likean engine issue to me, perhaps the carb is running too rich and needs leaned out, or your timing is off?? I would have someone do an engine tune up if it looks like it hasnt been serviced in a while and go from there.
Yes, but I was referring to the bands slipping, causing less power to the wheels. General causes of loss of power to the engine include, ignition and/or fuel system faults, incorrect valve clearances, burnt valves, blown cylinder head gasket and worn piston rings or cylinder bores. With a general tuneup, most of these can be determined.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:33 PM
Sacramento6

Are there any strange or new smells or sounds coming form the car? Does it leak any fluids, and new leaks? Has your fuel economy changed for the worse? Or litteraly is the only problem the sluggish start? What does your trans fluid smell like?

All the above answers given are a great place to start, but we'll need a little more info to really help.

Quick Reply: how do you know when to rebuild??