Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

How to route this wire

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 12:42 AM
19stang66
4th Gear Member

Default How to route this wire

So I found out water is leaking into my car via my subwoofers power wire. Water runs down the cable and eventually onto my floorboard. Right now I have the power wire routed underneath the passenger sill plate, between the fender and body and behind the fenders splash guard and finally into the engine compartment. If it's confusing I can take pictures, I just forgot to while I was in the shop.

How do you guys have your wires routed? I was thinking of going through the metal drain plug in the floorboard then underneath the car and up into the engine compartment via a hole in the engine bay. I almost have all of my windshield leaks fixed and then I found this stupid one, ugh. Thanks guys.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:58 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Default RE: How to route this wire

I wouldnt run your power line under the car through that metal plug. You shouldnt run it under your car becuase if it gets hit and opened, it can short out on the body. You should definitly not use a metal hole without a grommet becuase the edge will cut through the plastic coating in time, causing a possible short or interior fire...
Old 01-17-2007, 01:42 AM
JamesW

When it rains, the water runs out of your cowl drains and down the cable... and wicks into the floorboard where the wire enters behind the kickboard.

Recommend you pull the kickboard out, pull on the cable just a tad, and fill the hole with clear silicone sealant.

Old 01-17-2007, 01:48 AM
shr
3rd Gear Member

When i do steros i drill a hole and put a grommet on the fire wall and run it into the car that way, you can go by your local stero shop or even a parts store and find a grommet that will fit the wire tight and put some WD40 on it and it will slide right in and when it dries it wont move again. but if you dont want to do that pull the shield cut it out abit to get the calbe to fit in it and silecone to crap out of it
Old 01-17-2007, 01:51 AM
19stang66
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the pic James. The green line in the pic below is how my wire goes. It comes out from under the bottom door hinge. I've never seen a hole in the kickpanel where you have yours routed, then again i've never had the entire fender off, just the splash guard. Did you make that hole or is it already there?

Old 01-17-2007, 02:06 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

If the water is following the cable down into the passenger compartment, put a rain loop in the cable. That way the water will drip off the lowest point. It can't drip up-hill.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:25 PM
19stang66
4th Gear Member

I was thinking of something like that, but I didn't know if someone made such a thing. Do you know where to get them?
Old 01-17-2007, 02:45 PM
crunchyskippy
3rd Gear Member

Fastbackford351 is right. Simply loop the power cable (with the loop actually hanging down, not up like a roller coaster). No additional equipment needed! A zip-tie is perfect for holding the loop at the desired size.

Hope this helps.

[IMG]local://upfiles/41629/41BAAEC3D42645E5914458EB539C23A0.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-17-2007, 02:55 PM
19stang66
4th Gear Member

oooooooh haha I get it now. Wow I feel stupid. I thought it was something you could buy. Umm yea I think I'll just make a loop. Thanks for the illustration crunchy.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:07 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

Even with the loop you will still get some moisture.

Put the dangle loop in AND seal the hole where it enters with either a rubber gromment or silicone.

Quick Reply: How to route this wire