Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Timing

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 12:39 PM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

Default Timing

Anyone got tips on timing a 302 without a light???? or should I break down and get one. can you list some of the ways you find easier than others??
Old 01-17-2007, 01:58 PM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Timing

ya you can use a vaccum gauge and your ear and the nerves in your hand to feel how the motor is running the best way is to find a car that is set and hold the motor and feel how its running then remember how that feels and feel for that when you hand is on the distributor cause the bad thing about a timing light is

a) if your harmonic balancer is off your screwed
b) timing chains stretch and stuff wears so the timing light doesn't accomodate for that

but i use mine when timing to see where i am sitting at and to check my advance it is a very handy tool
Old 01-17-2007, 02:00 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

If all else fails, keep advacing it and test drive it until it pings then back it off just a bit and re-test. You want it advanced as much as possible without predetonating.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:07 PM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

that is also true
Old 01-17-2007, 04:29 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

I you use the technique that Gothand suggested, which I do, when you test drive it make sure you are at WAO throttle. Keep advancing the timing until it pings and then back it off a hair. An old mechanic friend of mine told me that this was setting the timing to the power curve of the engine. Another technique I used to use on my old 68 firebird that worked pretty well was to adjust the timing at idle until I reached maximum vaccum and then back it off 2"Hg. Crude but effective
Old 01-17-2007, 05:13 PM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

kay I'll give it a shot when it warms up again. I've never messed with the timing, is it that involved? how do I do it?
Old 01-17-2007, 07:03 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

To advance the timing on a Ford small block, rotate the distributor clockwise. Advance it a little bit, and take it for a spin. Stand on it (ie. WAO) and listen for the pinging. If it does not ping, stop, advance it a little bit more. Repeat this process until you hear it ping. Once you hear it ping, retard the timing (counter-clockwise), floor it, and listen for the pinging. You want to do this until you reach that fine line just a little bit below the "ping point". You DO NOT want the car to ping under full load. Nothing to it.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:21 PM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fastbackford351

To advance the timing on a Ford small block, [sm=smiley25.gif]. Advance it a little bit, and take it for a spin. Stand on it (ie. WAO) and listen for the pinging. If it does not ping, stop, advance it a little bit more. Repeat this process until you hear it ping. Once you hear it ping, retard the timing (counter-clockwise), floor it, and listen for the pinging. You want to do this until you reach that fine line just a little bit below the "ping point". You DO NOT want the car to ping under full load. Nothing to it.
[sm=smiley25.gif]Okay so like do I have to take out the dizzy rotate it and put it back in? I'm confused
Old 01-17-2007, 07:47 PM
ZZmustang
Banned

Loosen the distributor, Start engine. have someone bring the engine up just above the max on the vacuum advance or centrifugal advance, say around 2000. Move the distributor one way until it starts to sputter a little, Mark the spot, move it the other way until it starts to sputter a little. mark the spot. In the middle of those two marks is a real good place to be without a light.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:49 PM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

thanks ZZ, now if I can talk the boss into going out in the cold to help out.

Quick Reply: Timing