Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

ALT/ Charging Sytem help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 10:04 PM
Yonco
3rd Gear Member

Default ALT/ Charging Sytem help?

Hello, ive got my mustang back running, but theres still one problem. I have to jump it to get it running. Its dont think its charging but havent put a meter on it for sure yet to check. Anyways, When i put the wiring back to the alernator, i set it up as the clip was originally and all the wires in the correct position. But, there was one top RED connection that wasnt used when i put it back together( it says BAT). I ASSUMED this was a 12V connection directly to the battery, so i put a wire from the terminal on the ALT to the + on the battery, and instantly my electric choke wire fried up, burnt in half and i pulled the jumper off quickly. The electric choke was spliced in by the previous owner and i dont think it was in the right place to begin with because the ELE choke didnt work. So, my questions:

Where does the wire from the BAT terminal on the alternator lead? ( my books just show colors of different alt layouts, so im lost)

Where should i get a good ele choke hot wire from? ( ive seen several threads on this but never a SOLID answer, will a 12v ignition on only source work?)

How can i test if my ele choke works, can i just hook 12v to it and see if it turns open after a few mins?

Does this mean my system is charging if when i hooked the jumper from the ALT to the batt and it fried?

Thanks for the help, i hope someone can! -Jon
Old 01-17-2007, 10:31 PM
ZZmustang
Banned

Default RE: ALT/ Charging Sytem help?

Alt systems are different.
can you take a picture of what you got.?
Don't hook your alt to your battery .
Generally the alt Batt wire goes to the starter solenoid on the same side as the positive wire from the battery. Depending on what year your mustang is it could have a voltage regulator or a built in regulator.

You asked
"Where should I get a good ele choke hot wire from? ( ive seen several threads on this but never a SOLID answer, will a 12v ignition on only source work?) YES

How can i test if my ele choke works, can i just hook 12v to it and see if it turns open after a few mins? YES

Does this mean my system is charging if when i hooked the jumper from the ALT to the batt and it fried? NO

Once you get the system wired correctly, start your engine and disconnect the positive cable from the battery, if it stays running the alt is putting out at least 10volts to the engine, ( the + wire you have in your hand is hot , live) don't let it touch anywhere.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:43 PM
LCC
4th Gear Member

Post a pic. Is it inter or externaly regulated. If its not a one wire alt then you will need a connection to the exciter for the alt to start charging..more when we know the type of alt...
Old 01-18-2007, 12:08 AM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Last edited by Scott H.; 01-13-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:06 AM
Yonco
3rd Gear Member

The system does have an external Voltage regulator, thats above the battery, and i Tested the ELE choke, and it works fine, now to find a good place to grab 12v From. And tomarrow, ill get pics/ info on the ALT! -Jon
Old 01-18-2007, 01:09 AM
JamesW

what year car?
Old 01-18-2007, 01:27 AM
Yonco
3rd Gear Member

71 with a 302 -Jon