Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

headers

Old 01-19-2007, 02:18 AM
vanzy

Default headers

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum. After 30 years I finally have a 1966 mustang. Waited a long time. One question I have is what is the best performance header for a 289 automatic. I am also looking for ground clearance as the car will be 1 inch lower all around. the rest of the exhaust will be Magnaflow. Thanks for any input.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:24 AM
Halz5
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: headers

Seems like most people (including myself) opt to go with tri y's. You can get them almost anywhere, I bought mine from cjpony. The cjpony part number is - EXHD1 if you have power steering you will also need the slave cylinder lowering bracket, part number - SCB
Old 01-19-2007, 02:26 AM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

1" isn't much, so any long tube with the right brackets will work.

[sm=welcomesign.gif]
Old 01-19-2007, 02:42 AM
groho
4th Gear Member

I just put a set of doug's headers (Doug Thorley Tri-y's) on my 66, clearances are great! The collector is well above the C4 deep pan, and ground clearance will not be a problem. BTW, I've dropped the front 1" with 620 coils, and the rear about half inch using mid-eye 4.5 leafs, with a halfinch positive arch.Any spring shop can do it for beer money. (standard eyes were too high and mid eye's were too low) Right now I have a 3/4 inch rake, back to front, nose down, perfect. You get what you pay for on the headers. Definately use tri-y's for added torque across the power band. I'm gonna try to get a compl exhaust with Dynomax Super turbo's inthe next week, I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:46 AM
groho
4th Gear Member

FYI - regarding the exhaust, been seeing a history of noise and "drone" complaints with the Flowmaster series 40's at 45-55 mph, that's why I'm leaning towards the Dynomax, too.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:06 AM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

i got flowtechs on mine ya they aren't as good as thorley or hooker but they are way better than that manifold
Old 01-19-2007, 04:08 AM
longlive289s
3rd Gear Member

heck i got hooker comps for about $130ish (i worked at schucks so i got a slight discount :-) ) only a couple places have i found clearance problems. u can look for shorty headers but they tend to get pricy.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:11 AM
longlive289s
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Brandontyler65

i got flowtechs on mine ya they aren't as good as thorley or hooker but they are way better than that manifold
just wanted to mention and ask if those flowtechs are ok. since i worked at schucks everyone sorta laughed at those flowtechs and one of my managers actually opened one of the boxes and it was sorta rusted....oh well
Old 01-19-2007, 04:17 AM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

i work for same company they were $60 i think with our measly 25% discount i like them alot of people come in for them they are a great product they get the job done i mean if i wanted a race car or something of that nature i coulda shelled out the money but this is mostly a DD so i just improved on the stock manifolds and btw i had no rust on mine but look up an idler arm in the system its like $116 plus tax but you can get one from jegs for about 50 or less LOL i mean our discount is cool and all but its not that great i just wish we got more like we used to it was 35% on everything even a crate engine was 35% off but they stopped that about 3-4 yrs ago

but Ya i like them alot i cannot complain
Old 01-19-2007, 04:23 AM
longlive289s
3rd Gear Member

ya i wish i was around when we had 35%. now 25% not bad, definatly helped on the headers and a couple other things i got. course ne major stuff i wanna get is only 15%

the most annoying part of the job (which i have a feeling you'll agree) is that ppl feel they dont need to tell u the exact model of the car. we had a lady that came in for a fuel filter for a jeep cherokee. she didnt know if it was limited or unlimited and was like "oh it doesnt matter....um its a limited, but that doesnt matter". course she calls couple hours later and was all pissed off we gave her the wrong filter, the filters were different from the two....now that im done hijacking this thread.....sry

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: headers