Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 12:40 AM
guitarist88
2nd Gear Member

Default oil

I have a 1967 289. The oil needs changing. what is the best oil for this car?
Old 10-07-2004, 12:09 PM
69FECoupe
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: oil

I would use a 10/40 or 10/30. Any quality brand. Stay away from Fram filters.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:13 PM
StangMang
5th Gear Member

Mobil 1
Old 10-07-2004, 12:51 PM
69FECoupe
3rd Gear Member

Why?
ORIGINAL: StangMang

Mobil 1
Old 10-07-2004, 12:58 PM
StangMang
5th Gear Member

Cause from my experiences it works and runs better than Castrol or any other oil i've used...its synthetic...i run 10W-30

Its proven....sheesh haven't you seen the commercials...haha

And its expensive....so you know its gotta be good[sm=smiley20.gif]...haha...j/k
Old 10-07-2004, 01:08 PM
StangMang
5th Gear Member

Straight from site:

What is Synthetic Oil?

Conventional oils come from crude oil that is pumped from the ground. Crude oil is made up of a twisted and jumbled mass of carbon atoms that form chains and rings of different sizes and shapes. Long chains of carbon atoms produce a thick viscous fluid that flows slowly. Shorter chains produce fluid that flows more readily.

In an oil refinery, crude oil is separated into various stocks. These become the basis for lubricating oils and fuels. Thick tangled masses of carbon chains become asphaltic materials used in roofing tar and road work. Very short chains and ring compounds of carbon are volatile and can be refined to produce gasoline and other solvents.

While petroleum refining is an advanced science, small amounts of contaminants, such as sulfur, reactive hydrocarbons and other materials cannot be completely removed from petroleum, and may end up in motor oil base stocks.

All motor oils are made up of base oils and additives. In general, fully synthetic motor oils contain non-conventional, high-performance fluids, such as polyalphaolefins (PAOs). Semi-synthetic oils (also called "blends") usually use a small percentage of non-conventional, high-performance fluids in combination with conventional oil.

To meet the demanding requirements of today's specifications (and our customers' expectations), Mobil 1® uses high-performance fluids, including polyalphaolefins (PAOs), along with a proprietary system of additives. Each Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ viscosity grade uses a unique combination of synthetic fluids and selected additives in order to tailor the viscosity grade to its specific application.

Whats it do for me?

Mobil 1® Vs. Conventional Oil
Mobil 1 is a fully synthetic motor oil for automotive engines. It is made from a combination of advanced, high-performance fluids, including polyalphaolefin (PAO), plus a unique package of additives, including the SuperSynâ„¢ anti-wear system for protection under the most extreme use.

Mobil 1 with SuperSynâ„¢ helps provide significant advantages over conventional motor oils, such as:

Anti-Wear
Superior protection under heavy engine loads/stresses, such as hauling and towing.
Minimizing oil degradation.

All-Temperature
Faster lubrication at start-up in low temperatures.
Superior protection at high temperatures.
Superior resistance to thermal breakdown.

Engine Cleanliness
Superior protection against harmful deposits.
Cleaner running engines.

Engine Efficiency
Greater resistance to oil oxidation (thickening).
Lower oil consumption under high-speed conditions.
Optimizing engine efficiency.
All motor oils are made up of base oils and additives. In general, fully synthetic motor oils contain non-conventional, high-performance fluids. Semi-synthetic oils (also called "blends") usually use a small percentage of non-conventional, high-performance fluids in combination with conventional oil. To meet the demanding requirements of today's specifications (and our customers' expectations), Mobil 1 with SuperSynâ„¢ uses high-performance, engineered fluids, such as polyalphaolefins (PAOs), along with a proprietary system of additives. Each Mobil 1 with SuperSynâ„¢ viscosity grade uses a unique combination of synthetic fluids and selected additives in order to tailor the viscosity grade to its specific application.

Exceeding Standards
Mobil 1 with SuperSynâ„¢ is available in five viscosity grades:

Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 10W-30 – Higher-Mileage Vehicle Formula
Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 5W-30 – Newer Vehicle Formula
Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 15W-50 – Performance Driving Formula
Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 0W-30 – Enhanced Fuel Economy Formula
Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 0W-40 – European Car Formula

Mobil 1 with SuperSynâ„¢ is truly a global formulation, exceeding the latest standards of the oil industry and vehicle manufacturers.

For instance, the appropriate grades of Mobil 1 with SuperSynâ„¢ exceed API Service SL/CF, European ACEA standards and Japanese valvetrain requirements. In addition, certain viscosity grades exceed ILSAC GF-3 and specific OEM standards. For instance, Mobil 1 with SuperSynâ„¢ 0W-30, 5W-30 and 10W-30 exceed ILSAC GF-3 and are certified as "Energy Conserving." As another example, Mobil 1 with SuperSynâ„¢ 0W-40 exceeds Mercedes-Benz's 229.3 specification.

The overall goal for Mobil 1 is to provide the highest level of performance by protecting your engine, even under the most severe conditions, such as very cold starting temperatures, extreme high-temperature operations and high-load conditions. With several car manufacturers now extending or varying oil change intervals, Mobil 1 with SuperSynâ„¢ has been formulated to provide more performance reserve. But Mobil 1 with SuperSynâ„¢ is not just for extreme service. You can also realize Mobil 1's benefits of improved engine cleanliness and long engine life under "normal" service.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:11 PM
69FECoupe
3rd Gear Member

Very well put!!!! I didn't mean to start anything. It's great stuff, I've seen the commercials!LOL. I just can't bring myself to switch from dino. I guess it's the old fart in me. My 944 is 21 years old and has 175k on it. The motor has never been touched and it's still quiet and tight. Castrol GTX since it was new. Anyhow, thanks for the honest reply. Very refreshing.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:37 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

just stay with some 10w-30 unless the engine has been rebuilt using today's gaskets
Old 10-08-2004, 05:28 PM
67coupe
2nd Gear Member

"just stay with some 10w-30 unless the engine has been rebuilt using today's gaskets"

You lost me there? We ran 10w-40w and 20w-50w in the 60's and 70's cars. What do gaskets have to do with anything? Any oil is fine if you change it every 3-4 months.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:53 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

in yester years the gasket material wasn't able to control leaks when using syth. oils, as the oil broke down the gasket..new seals don't get as hard over time so they stay flexible to control oil leaks

Quick Reply: oil