Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

anyone shipped their pony?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 11:55 AM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

Default anyone shipped their pony?

1. Okay I was just wondering if anyone has used a auto shipping company.
2.What company did you use, and what was your experiance/opinion of the move.
3.About how much did you pay, and how far did it go?
Old 01-25-2007, 03:33 PM
67Stang68
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: anyone shipped their pony?

Just a funny tidbit -
When my dad moved to Arizona, he used a shipping company for his everyday car. He recieved a ticket from the PA turnpike and it was a picture of the back of his car supposedly running a toll, It was on the back of a carrier.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:42 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Hi !

got mine shipped from L.A. to Cork/Ireland. They organised the transfer from Belgium to Cork as well.
It was with DAS - dependable auto shippers. (i think they're the biggest in car shipping).
http://www.dasautoshippers.com/
I had to use them as I had to organise all from here.
The seller was nice enough to bring it to them (they are all over the shop).
They did an inspection on the car and refused at first as the handbrake wasn't tight enough for transport.
Seller repaired and brought the car back (100 times better then have the car smashed because it moving in a container) to them.
they stored the car until a ship would go to europe.
they gave me the details on who to contact for receiving the car.

All in all it was all very easy. they told me exactly what documents I and seller needed. They were very responsive to all mail enquiries per email.

they have pickup options as well. So that they put it on a truck and bring it to harbour.
What I chose was the harbour-harbout option.

I was able to collect my car no problem once it was cleared with customs.

People tell me if you drive it sttraight to the harbour you might get cheaper rates. but that wasn't an option for me (as I had to organise from europe).

there were options for less money to england. but it would have been nmore expensive if I would have had to collect the car from there.

All in all I paid 1200$ (about 1000 euro) and I would do it anytime again with them.
transfer took 6 weeks (and 4 weeks it was stanmding in LA waiting for the boat). So depending on when you ship you might be less or more lucky ion how long it takes)

If you have any further questions I'll be glad to help

Kalli

Old 01-25-2007, 03:45 PM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

thanks I'll give them a call
Old 01-25-2007, 04:35 PM
plainsmen
2nd Gear Member

At the end of October I bought a 05 Chrysler Town & Country from on Ebay from Georgia... I used DAS.

They freakin SUCK! SUCK BAD HARLEY! Their customer service is virtually non-existant. They were 2 weeks late and I ended up having to drive 5 hours 1 way with my wife and son to Seattle to get the van because they didn't have a truck to ship it to my area and really didn't know when they were going to get a full truck and get it there.... even though it was late. They told me two weeks... I picked it up a month later and they told me they didn't know when it was going to be available to go to my located I paid for.

They gave me the "well those are estimated dates" Obviously I had already paid them so they didn't give a rats@*** about me.

I was so really pissed.... oh and they wouldn't give me a discount even though I had to pick it up 5 hours away... said that if they released it from there I wouldn't get he frickin "mileage discount" I had before.

What a freakin joke.... the van turned out fine... but dude.. LOOK at all these people who say they suck:

DAS on Epinions

Dependable Auto Shippers Overall rating:
Reviewed by 224 Epinions users
Customer Service Experience: Ease of Filing Claim:
Old 01-25-2007, 04:43 PM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

yikes, thanks for the warning, I'm shipping from Idaho to Texas and so far these are what I'm leaning towards
Military Auto Transport.com and Express auto transport.com both gave about the same estimate of cost and do "DTD" and are about 300 less than about 3 others I called.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:47 PM
plainsmen
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: grruminator78

yikes, thanks for the warning, I'm shipping from Idaho to Texas and so far these are what I'm leaning towards
Military Auto Transport.com and Express auto transport.com both gave about the same estimate of cost and do "DTD" and are about 300 less than about 3 others I called.
Here's the reviews on Express Auto

I'm still looking for the Military one
Old 01-25-2007, 04:55 PM
plainsmen
2nd Gear Member

Hrmm... I'd probably go with the Military Auto Transport... looks like their actually:

Showroom Transport from VA.... but yeah... looking up their Better Business Bureau rating they seem to be in pretty good standing.

Showroom Transport

Old 01-25-2007, 05:01 PM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

yeah, they are my number one choice, thanks plainman... either way I go from epinoins every single auto transport company looks scary[&o]
Old 01-26-2007, 12:16 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

yes. they seem to be all bad.
But I never went to epinion to gave em a good review ;-)
maybe it's a huge difference if they organise harbour->harbour or truck transfers ... don't know...

kalli

Quick Reply: anyone shipped their pony?