Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

engine idea's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 08:17 PM
highhilleer
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: engine idea's?

Is it just me or does it seem the youngins want to start on the wrong part of the car??? The 289/302 has plenty of power until you know what you're doing. How about concentrating on the BRAKES, suspension, any rust issues and making the electrical system reliable BEFORE jumping on the MORE POWER band wagon?
Old 01-25-2007, 08:25 PM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

i have redone my brakes, rear suspension, tranny is good, i have replaced and modernized most of my electrical and all i got left really is the interior a cam a carb and the front suspension then i will be happy for the most part i mean i still wanna get some subframe connectors and some traction bars but thats about it the only reason i wanna fisnish my engine is because i have had to start it early so i might as well finish it
Old 01-25-2007, 08:43 PM
highhilleer
2nd Gear Member

Brandontyler65looks like your doing it the "right" way. But then you have been on this forum for several months and have over a thousand posts. Good JOB, eventhough your a relatively young person of 21.
I'll bet Mustang_Buckman213is probably 18, lives in the cowboy land of Texas and has a video of a Lolita, in an underwear challanged mode, on his myspace page!
When I was 18 I couldn't believe how stupid my father was, but it was amazing how much he learned by the time I turned 21.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:43 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: highhilleer

Is it just me or does it seem the youngins want to start on the wrong part of the car??? The 289/302 has plenty of power until you know what you're doing. How about concentrating on the BRAKES, suspension, any rust issues and making the electrical system reliable BEFORE jumping on the MORE POWER band wagon?
j AMEN, brother.....I am 63 years old, and my old 289 2V pushes my 65 as fast as it needs to go. There is absolutely no need for more than 200 Horsepower in one of these little light cars, and especially if you are 16 and know it all.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:01 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: THUMPIN455

Nah you dont need a bigger engine.. 289s and 302s are great engines for young people. Just enough power to get in trouble but not so much that you can really get stupid. No need to drive fast on the street, but I know how the need for more power is. if I would have had my 600+hp street ride when I was 16, I would be dead right now. As it was, there was a 302 2barrel in the 67 Cougar. Did alot of stupid stuff in that car, but I had to learn to respect it somehow. For me it was all about breaking stuff and being unable to get into town to chase the women. learning the hard way sucks..

Okay that being said.. you can grow into more power with your 302 really easily. Just give yourself the time to improve your skills and learn what to watch for when driving before you do it, ok? I thought I was good untill I went to Germany when I was 19. lol... Headers, dual exhaust, and a 500cfm 4 barrel would be good first upgrades. Those alone would be enough to get you so many speeding tickets you couldnt afford insurance untill you were 30. The 302 is a good place to start, easy to work on and parts are plentiful and relatively cheap. The biggest bonus is you have it in there already.

If you want some good ideas as to changes you can make for little to no cash, and sometimes larger changes for a bit more money, do a search on here for 302 and 289. Just take your time and do it right the first time, and dont wrap the car around a tree racing some idiot punk in a Civic who thinks he has the fastest ride on the planet and John Force should be asking him for speed and driving tips. Dont be that kid either because you have a V8... ok?

You want power, we can get you power. Its up to you to be responsible with it bro.. you sound like I did when I just got my license... that might be a good or bad thing...lol.
I beg to differ, a family member of mine has a `95 w/ 302 pushing 750. Course, he is stupid, I agree on that part
Old 01-25-2007, 10:05 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Okay since TWO of you brought it up... I should amend it to relatively stock 289/302s. because that was the intention. Not saying you cant make power with them, its just that they arent exactly a 428 CJ power wise in stock form.

Instead of seeing what it can do, figure out what you arent supposed to do. I figured it out by breaking stuff... transmissions, ball joints, ujoints, tires(bald in two weeks), timing chain... the list goes on and on... now 20 years later I get to fix all that stuff the right way.. and all the dents my idiot brother put in it because he was stupid, and thought Dukes of Hazzard was normal driving.. did I mention he drove a 70 Charger? I should charge him for all the stuff he did to my car. He has also wrecked EVERY vehicle he has ever driven. I got lucky, he took the Cougar one evening and it came back with only a wrinkled fender and a severrely smashed front valance. He has totaled 5 vehicles in 25 years of driving, and put major dents in everything else. I have spent about 200 hours in a dentists chair because of the night he wrecked his Charger, I got my face adjusted that night.

Conversely I drag race, have street raced, build top end cars that go over 160mph, have been legally driving since 85, and have never wrecked anything. I put two small dents in military vehicles from other people illegaly parking them where we normally backed up, thats it. Its called using your brain and making correct choices. While I didnt always make good choices, at least I was sensible enough to not make the ssame mistakes twice.

Who would you rather be?
Old 01-25-2007, 10:43 PM
Mustang Dad
2nd Gear Member

Yep, we live in the Great State of .....TEXAS. And no you DONT need more power yet!!!
Old 01-25-2007, 11:15 PM
mustanglover66
4th Gear Member

Busted LOL
Old 01-25-2007, 11:30 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

you older guys seem to forget that when you were young most of you prolly slapped on that 4 barrel and some glasspacks with your hard earned pizza delivery tip money instead of thinking about springs and control arms. are these other things important? YES, but its perfectly normal and o.k. for a high school kid to want his stang a little faster than it was when he bought it - not to mention they CANNOT let themselves get beat by the ricer **** who think they are all cool. its up to them to represent the muscle to the new generation of hot chicks in school
Old 01-25-2007, 11:50 PM
Mustang_Buckman213

he guessed it lol,im 18, live in texas, and on my myspace i got a chica dancing in he underwear lol. but yeah, i actually know a few people here in town that have totalled their 06' and 200(#)+ mustang's, a friend of mine first week she had her 2007 mustang, she had to replace the left wheel.. not just the tire.. but the whole wheel.... and one guy was "ATTEMPTING" to drift in his i think... 2002? 2004? mustang... he some how tore his whole trunk off on i think a tree or somethin... and another friend.. his parents bought him a resto-mod 1966 mustang coupe... he did no work to it... he banged that thing up all the time.. every time he reversed he'd hit someones car and just drive off.. he'd hit trash cans... personally i love the 65' mustang, so i know yeah... there will be glory times of racing (yes dad....) but im not gonna treat my car like its a 2 dollar hooker i can go to the next corner and pickup another... i actually plan to keep thiscar the rest of my life, not just the fact its my favorite car, but its probably gonna be the longest memoryof me and my dad having fun working on together. :-).

Quick Reply: engine idea's?