Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

engine idea's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 12:06 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: engine idea's?

but its probably gonna be the longest memoryof me and my dad having fun working on together. :-)
+1,000,000

i was never very close with my dad until we did my car, and we've been tight ever since (hell he bought me a AR-15 for xmas two years ago..... +1 for gifts that are actually cool lol)
Old 01-26-2007, 01:27 AM
scott_m_mil
2nd Gear Member

As far as not needed fast cars to go have fun. Lord knows more than one person has seen my zx2 cut across a parking lot sideways a time or two. Ha and its stock domestic rice. Yeah I've got my 65 sitting behind my parents house, and even though I've moved out I can't wait to work on it with my dad. Yeah I'm a few years off from being 16 (couldn't afford one then) but I can't wait.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:13 AM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

as long as its a V8 you should have enough power, but what do i know, im 18, live in texas and have a 351.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:53 AM
beachbum66
1st Gear Member

topping a high speed? gulp. i can understand the loud and the quick, and the exciting part of it but the last thing i could ever think of is driving an old mustang for the high top speed. Leave that to the new ones. the idea of driving over a reasonable speed in a 40+ year old car that isn't the most aerodynamic and safety oriented machine is like mixing oil and water.

i always thought the fun of old musclecars and pony cars was the quick and exhilirating raw power, not the top end. i am usually happy enough just getting to 55 with the v8 power.

and i agree, fix the brakes, suspension, electrics and body first.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:17 AM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: beachbum66

topping a high speed? gulp. i can understand the loud and the quick, and the exciting part of it but the last thing i could ever think of is driving an old mustang for the high top speed. Leave that to the new ones. the idea of driving over a reasonable speed in a 40+ year old car that isn't the most aerodynamic and safety oriented machine is like mixing oil and water.

i always thought the fun of old musclecars and pony cars was the quick and exhilirating raw power, not the top end. i am usually happy enough just getting to 55 with the v8 power.

+1 i dont really plan on going past 65 in my 69, the sheer thrill of havin so much unbridled power is what it means to own a muscle car, pony car for some
Old 01-26-2007, 06:00 AM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: beachbum66

lol.. the top ender isnt a Mustang... its a 79 Trans Am... Trust me, it does quite well at speed.. and with 560ftlbs of torque and 2.41 gears it doesnt really have a limit that I have wanted to discover..maybe at Bonneville sometime, or the Sand Hills Challenge.. Not all of us only have Mustangs.. Heck I only have one, and have only had two of them in my lifetime. Another Firebird sittin in the yard runs 130mph in the 1/4.. it too is a 79.. Going that fast in a stock Mustang or stock anything? Well... not a great idea. Safety is a must.. I dont want to leave all my toys yet, because even the one who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:20 AM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

Thumpin, good point made, I find my stang 302 2v is slow compared to my old car, can't corner as well and isn't as comoftable than my old car and is no were near as safe but it has soul. I have never been one for 0-60 times and drag racing is boring IMO (placing flame suit on now) I prefer corner carving type racing (touring car, rally etc) If you want to learn how to drive properly go go-karting I went last night (i sucked badly) but I have been the kart places with 70 mph karts and when you ***** are 2 inches from the tarmac it concentrates your mind and if you crash your stang is still in the car park nice and straight.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:59 PM
Mustang_Buckman213

hrm didnt think of the mustangs that way, yeah sounds good. cause as it sits, its a 302 v8, and a glasspack on it. and maaan i love it, sounds brutal. and now that yall helped me think clearly on old mustangs on this topic , im just going to work it as it is.. i love the thundering sound of the v8, and just make it look real sweet. last thing i wanna do is total a classic.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:04 PM
highhilleer
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mustang_Buckman213

hrm didnt think of the mustangs that way, yeah sounds good. cause as it sits, its a 302 v8, and a glasspack on it. and maaan i love it, sounds brutal. and now that yall helped me think clearly on old mustangs on this topic , im just going to work it as it is.. i love the thundering sound of the v8, and just make it look real sweet. last thing i wanna do is total a classic.
Excellent. in that case go back and read plainsman's post on
https://mustangforums.com/m_2599064/...tm.htm#2599064
Old 01-26-2007, 06:44 PM
Yonco
3rd Gear Member

Sigh... my 302 is loaded with mods, but i still have to jump(start) it everytime i want to run it! Mabey because im 18?? lol... just missing a few wires im finishing up, but i still want to drive it in the procress of building it up. And yes, i do want more power, but the last things i have left are ARF heads and nitrous, the rest of the engine is built, so im focusing on brakes now. I already redid every part of the suspension with new/ springs/shocks/bushings/a arms and got the new rear end w/ posi and gears, i think i am on the right path, and like thumpin has said, later down the road, when i ready, i can drop in a "460" and have a "scary fast red car" -Jon

Quick Reply: engine idea's?