Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Bondo and Rust Bullet

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 07:19 PM
palerider
4th Gear Member

Default Bondo and Rust Bullet

I'm fixing some rust spots in my doors. See attached.

I know I should cut out and replace with metal but I'm eventually going to put new skinson the doors so I wanted to slow some of the rust till when I get there.

Here is my plan let me know if reasonable.

1. Sandand grind old bond out
2. Cover with rust bullet
3. Bondo in holes (rought up rust bullet first)
4. Spray with self etching primer
5. Paint and then clear
6. Spray undercoating inside door to keep water from swelling bondo

Going to put GT stripes over the whole thing - some contrast and make up for where paint does not match.

Does this seem okay?

Thanks
Old 01-27-2007, 07:27 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Bondo and Rust Bullet

2. Cover with rust bullet
3. Bondo in holes (rought up rust bullet first)

4: in a year or two see even larger rust holes than before. the rust is behind the panel as well, the area around it is thinned. What you need is a patch welded in there to replace all the rusty and thinned metal. Even a rust converter under the filler wont stop it. Some filler is porus and will absorb water, that will allow it to rust out areas around the coated metal. Just filling a hole with filler is a cheap window dressing way of doing it, it isnt a quality job and wont last for long.

The hole got there from leaves and dirt getting wet on the inside of the door, then finding a nice resting spot against the metal. it didnt rust from the outside, the paint does a good job of keeping oxidation from forming. Rust holes are from the inside of the panel, so you need to treat the inside of it rather than just make the outside look pretty..
Old 01-27-2007, 07:41 PM
palerider
4th Gear Member

I realize it's not a quality job. As I said in my post I'mgoing to put new skinswhen I get car repainted in year or 2.Current doors are wavey from previous filler jobs. I did put rust bullet on inside of the door also and was going to undercoat.

Sounds like I may be waisting my time.

Old 01-27-2007, 07:47 PM
StangDB

While i REALLY understand the urge to cut corners, since my 67 is a bucket O' rust. Your still dealing with a mustang. It deserves the best you can offer.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:19 PM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

If you're going to reskin the doors then just do what you can to please yourself now. Just remember that you're not really slowing the rust with what you're doing. If anything, you're providing a catalyst for more rust with filler as it's pourus as was stated before.

Either way, you're going to replace the skins. If you're ok with putting the money out now to appease yourself, have at it. You're going to be replacing it later anyway.

If it were me, I'd just slap some mud on it, paint it and let it go. Mainly because I wouldn't put alot of money into a patch job knowing I was going to be putting out more money for skins later.

IMO, of course.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:38 PM
palerider
4th Gear Member

Stangdb - you're right mustangs do deserve the best you can offer - instead of using bondo I 'll use fiberglass filler - let's leave bondo for the chevys
Old 01-28-2007, 01:18 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

ORIGINAL: palerider

Stangdb - you're right mustangs do deserve the best you can offer - instead of using bondo I 'll use fiberglass filler - let's leave bondo for the chevys
Unfortunatly there is a red Mustang on the can of Bondo. My GM friends at the shop constantly remind me of that.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:41 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fastbackford351

ORIGINAL: palerider

Unfortunatly there is a red Mustang on the can of Bondo. My GM friends at the shop constantly remind me of that.
Isn't it a sad sight?[&o]
Old 01-28-2007, 04:35 AM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

honestly....if your going to do a fake fix, i reccomend a sheet of fiberglass probably....dip it in some resin....apply...fill it with filler and feather it out. since your doors are already "wavy" any your going to repaint you probably want to just do that as it will be stronger at least than regular bondo alone......
Old 01-28-2007, 05:04 PM
palerider
4th Gear Member

Here is another crazy idea..

How bout if I cut it out and indent it around the edges and get a piece of sheet metal and seal in with JB Weld and then bondo over that. You might have guessed by now I don't have a welder.

Quick Reply: Bondo and Rust Bullet