Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Car storage with no supises

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 12:57 PM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Default Car storage with no supises

Often I have looked for info on this. I can find several articles on such things such as gas additives, tire air pressure, wax and covers, etc. but these thingsare not what I'm looking for.I am interested in such things as climate control, humidity levels (or changes), air movement, desiccants, pest conntrol, and anything that would apply to long term storage. I have a insulated garage seperated into a heated work area, and unheated storage area. The climate were I live ranges from 0 to 100 in tempature, and near the samewith humidity.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:19 PM
Hornblower
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Car storage with no supises

What's your question?
Old 01-28-2007, 01:34 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

They makes those giant bubble things you can store your car in. Controls humidity and things like that..

Expensive though..
Old 01-28-2007, 02:00 PM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

A friend has a couple in the bubble, and he said they don't work. No difference compared to the ones right beside. All are in a garage. My question is, whatare the perfect enviormental conditionsfor long term storage. Humidity, tempature, fluxuations, etc. Anything necessary to preserve their present condition.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:36 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

I would think that is common sense. No humidity at room temperature.

Ive seen 2 versions of the bubble. One is just a drive in zip up bubble and the other has a dehumidifier/ temperature control built into it.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:54 PM
Colorado_Mustang
5th Gear Member

You want some humidity to keep the fabrics in shape. You just want it low enough to prevent rust, which is where air flow will be handy. Find enough cfm to change the air out a couple times a day, with enough reserve to crank it up if you see condensation.

Better bet would be to keep in on the road. It's really the only way to keep cars going reliably. It's like a house. If you take two brand new houses, and a family lives in one while the other is left empty, the empty house will literally fall apart before the lived in house needs any maintenance.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:06 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Unless you get snow, ice, and salt on the roads you can drive them all the time. Storing them for a few months isnt difficult, just disconnect the battery and put some dryer sheets in it to keep most of the mice out. Go start it like twice a month, just to hear it growl and warm it up good. If you run it a short time, condensation in the exhaust system will rust it inside out..

Long term storage, as in years, or decades, well its gonna be messed up when it comes out. Even if its sitting in a museum with no rodents, decent temps and humidity. Everything will dryrot that isnt metal, vinyl, rubber, cloth, everything. Moderate use over time is much better than just letting is sit for years. it doesnt have to be a daily driver, but take it out and stretch its legs occasionally. You will also find the stuff that needs fixed by driving it.

Metal does best in the desert type environment, low humidity, very dry. The heat bakes stuff on the inside, but the metal will be nice. Everything else non metal will need replaced. The only difference in a car stored in the north where it snows, rains and has humidity is that that car will rust faster. Everything non metal will still need replaced
Old 01-28-2007, 04:27 PM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Just trying to find what level of humidity that rust will not occur. Surewith zero humidityandaconstant tempature seems this would be the prefect enviorment. But is not cost effective for me.Is tempature controlor humidity controlmore important. Or both. Or what ranges for the two.Seems like my storage area will heat up to 60 or so on a sunny day even of the outside temp is 20. Then at night it will balance to the outside temp. I know thiswill have to cause some condensation thatwill leadto rust.I have ask some heat and air guys about this but all they were able to say is "I guess" or "I think". So do I need to focus more on a Heat Pump or De-humidifer or both.Just trying to find out some exacts.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:08 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

A heat pump will control both the humidity and temp, but would be expensive over the long haul. A small de-humidifier would be my choice if I was there to empty it every day or so. Yeah, I know they make de-humidifiers that empty themselves outside, but once again, expensive. Unless you are talking about a 428CJ or one of the more exotic Mustangs, the cost factor of maintaining a car without driving it just ain't gonna happen on most people's pocket book.
On Edit: After looking at your sig picture, I suddenly realize you not only have a gaggle of classic Mustangs, you have some expensive ones as well. Go with the heat pump. You can afford it.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:34 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Yeah I feel for him having a bunch of them, tough to keep them all legal and driveable. Some you dont want to risk having some brain donor soccer momon her cell phone caving in the rear with her Excursion or Escalade..

Still direct water contact and whatever they might put on the roads will do more harm than humidity. If they are parked inside, unless you live in Alabama Georgia, South carolina, Florida, etc, with 80% humidity all year, you wont have a huge problem with them rusting out and engines locking up over time. Keeping a 100point Concours resto a 100 point car, well that is vastly different than keeping daily drivers or valuable survivors from rusting. If you have one or more of those, how big is your living room and how accomidating is your wife?

The worst thing is the rodents who want to make a home out of the back seat, headliner, and all the nice cuddly warm stuff they can rip out and carry into the car or around inside it. Then since they arent house trained, they will leave it smelling like a Turkish whorehouse. You cant get that smell out either, all interior parts they live in will smell like a urinal for many many years.

Quick Reply: Car storage with no supises