Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

When do you know it's time for a rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 01:58 PM
90lxstang
4th Gear Member

Default When do you know it's time for a rebuild?

My car has put on about 15K miles in the past 25 years or so since its last rebuild (just engine rebuild im pretty sure, 170 i6). Would you consider the length of time enough reason for a engine, tranny and rear end rebuild? Or would it not be needed due to the low mileage? What would a rough ball park estimate be on a job like that? I've never been in an engine but I might tackle that rebuild myself.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:05 PM
OhioMachIRunner69
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: When do you know it's time for a rebuild?

Any reason for considering getting your engine rebuilt? I would not worry about it if you arent having any problems with it. Do a compression test and check the oil pressure. If no warning flags go up after these tests, like low compression in a cylinder or low oil pressure when the car is at running temp, I would not worry about it.

Same goes for the tranny...if you arent experiencing any problems I wouldnt worry about it. The rear end depends on mileage.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:57 PM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

times when you KNOW you need a rebuild
1. Insert key, gently caress dash while whispering words of encouragement, "come on baby, you can start. You don't have to do it on the first try, but please, I need to get to the 7-11 so I don't miss the slurpee sale"
REBUILD ENGINE
2. Driving trough parking lot avoiding any unecessary speed control device. Upon reaching an unavoidable one you gently caress dash wile whispereing these words of encouragement, "okay I promise, last time I take you over one of these, you can do it."
REBUILD SUSPENSION
3. Prior to shifting from park to drive/reverse, gently caress shifter and whisper these words of encouragement, "if you engage and DON'T leave the tranny on the pavement, I'll get you that new high milage oil." REBUILD TRANNY ,"if you engage and DON'T leave the rear end on the pavement, I'll get you those new gears, and maybe a posi unit."
REBUILD REAR END!
Old 01-29-2007, 04:08 PM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

do a compression/leakdown test that should tell you all you need to know but if you do get them gapless rings i have heard that they are awesome
Old 01-29-2007, 04:43 PM
90lxstang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OhioMachIRunner69

Any reason for considering getting your engine rebuilt?
Well about 40% of the time when I turn off the car, the engine sputters, hisses and clanks for a few seconds. The tranny has been acting a little funny. I think the clutch pedal doesn't extend out to as far as it needs to in order to come out of gear like it used to. It grinds reverse every time now and it can roll when I put it in gear sometimes. Rear end seems fine as far as I can tell, it's just been so long since anything has had work. I'll give it the compression and leak test and see what comes up.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:48 PM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

umm you mught just need a tune up like new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, timing adjustment, and then you clutch just might need an adjustment those things do wear and need adjustment i know that the self adjuster cable in my brakes is shot cause they don't self adjust anymore
Old 01-29-2007, 05:54 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

When you cant put oil in with the engine running. its time for a rebuild
When there is a strange knocking sound coming from inside the engine. its time for a rebuild
When its fill the oil check the gas at a station. its time for a rebuild
When there is a rod hanging out the side of the block. its time for a rebuild
If there is no valve where it should have been under the valve cover. its time for a rebuild

If its running good, doesnt smoke or eat oil, isnt making any harsh mechanical noises.. DONT TAKE IT APART!
Old 01-29-2007, 06:02 PM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

hmmm I'm thinking this needs to be in the FAQ section
Old 01-29-2007, 06:07 PM
scott_m_mil
2nd Gear Member

Yeah soo I have an engine, and um half of the connecting rod is sticking out of the pan, half is stuck in the valve seat, the piston...errr well 1/3 of the piston is in the oil pan one third broke through the cyliner wall one third is sitting in the valve cover.....diagnosis ...BOAT ANCHOR
Old 01-29-2007, 06:13 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

If the engine keeps running for a second after you turn off the key, then sputters and dies, then your timing needs to be adjusted. You probably have a clutch worn sufficiently to have it replaced. You shouldn't have any issues shifting if the clutch is thick enough to do it's job.