Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

You guys remember that thread on painting our classics with either Tremclad or Rustoleum?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 07:03 PM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

Default RE: You guys remember that thread on painting our classics with either Tremclad or Rustoleum?

Keep in mind, that Rustolum dries rather slowly, especially during Winter, I'm going to hold off experimenting on my car until it gets a bit warmer, probably in either Spring or Summer, but I will give it a try, and see what happens, my ride is going to need a painting anyway, so if this doesn't turn out that great, I'll paint it through the expensive way anyway, I have nothing to lose but everything to gain.

[8D]
Old 02-03-2007, 07:07 PM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

Default RE: You guys remember that thread on painting our classics with either Tremclad or Rustoleum?

I suggest you guys try it on a piece of metal and practice, do not directly try it on your rides, experiment first, just don't take my word for it.

I suggest go to a car wreck and get yourself something large, like a hood, trunk, panel, etc, a good surface to try this technique out.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:01 PM
plainsmen
2nd Gear Member

I already talked my dad into letting me practice on 3 of his farm rigs!! A big old '53 Gran Truck.... a 79 Chevy and an 92 Dakota. Then I'll try it on my mom's 56 ford pickup... by that time it will be 4 rigs practice before I even try to attempt it on my stang!

This will be awsome if I can get the technique down.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:52 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

looks good but why did you paint over the windsheild washers
Old 02-04-2007, 06:10 AM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

Because it's just worthless metal, that's why.

Old 02-04-2007, 07:56 AM
MidNite27
2nd Gear Member

So how much $ does it cost for paint if you were to do an average car with 4-5 coats? I'd hate to have about 80 of those little paint cans lying around lol.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:35 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

the fella who started the thread on mopar board claims to have painted his Dodge Charger with only using 3/4 can.They seem to come in 3.8 litre cans

Old 02-04-2007, 01:30 PM
Yonco
3rd Gear Member

The paint is thinned so much that you dont use a lot! -Jon
Old 02-04-2007, 05:35 PM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MidNite27

So how much $ does it cost for paint if you were to do an average car with 4-5 coats? I'd hate to have about 80 of those little paint cans lying around lol.
Like Kalli said, you only need to buy a gallon of bucket of paint and the painting materials.

EVERYTHING will cost you about $50...that's it!

And like Yonco said, you THIN the paint with acetone if painting with Rustoleum, and you thin it with mineral spirits if painting with Tremclad. Make sure to make it as thin as possible, almost watery, that's the secret, otherwise you will get bubbling on the painted surface.

Not counting labor, you could paint your ride for $50.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:51 PM
plainsmen
2nd Gear Member

Did you give thought to trying the Brightside paint? I may just go that way.... sounds like you don't have to thin it out at all.... and it covers in about half the coats?

Quick Reply: You guys remember that thread on painting our classics with either Tremclad or Rustoleum?