Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

New dilemma with 65 fastback - need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 09:45 PM
1965MustangFastback
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: New dilemma with 65 fastback - need advice

A few more Pics!

[IMG]local://upfiles/16936/4CE64DC759234CF89D8109E7C57F88A4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/16936/00F6BE1683C643EFB6E7046AF74D1E64.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-08-2007, 09:51 PM
1965MustangFastback
2nd Gear Member

Two more.............

[IMG]local://upfiles/16936/C750DA039AEE4A0F8D0912C5AAC7450B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/16936/BC2A794CAC3C48599D9729723DC740A7.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-08-2007, 10:24 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: keoni1978

$25,000 O.B.O
Poppy red with Black interior
T5 5 speed trans
Recent rebuilt Front disk brakes and rear drums
A Code, 4V V8 engine with rebuilt Holley Carb, Edelbrock intake manifold and Hi-PO exhaust manifold. All gaskets replaced.
Aftermarket wheels with new tires (less than 3000 miles on them)
Nice looking ride, butthats a $41,000 car in local dollars by time you get it here.
I dunno where Yellow66 got to...hopefully he comes back

depends on where he lives, but in most Australian states, imported left hand drive cars are not allowed to be modified. To get it registered, the aftermarket wheels, Grant wheel, loud exhaust, T5 etc would all have to come off. You can sneak bits back on again ( I have the same Grant wheel and Ford RAcing covers etc) but you have to get it past the road ***** first.

the alternative is convert to right hand drive which adds another $10k and they still wont register it if its too loud or they simply decide "today is not your lucky day" or you get some a**hole who doesnt like Mustangs or its that time of the month for his wife and he didnt get any last night or WHATEVER...had my share of run ins with the bastards to the point that the dollars saved by importing your own car may not be worth the additional hassle over just buying one here where it is registered and some other poor clown has had to go through the hoops instead.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:24 AM
Galactusz
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Aussie66Fastback

ORIGINAL: keoni1978

$25,000 O.B.O
Poppy red with Black interior
T5 5 speed trans
Recent rebuilt Front disk brakes and rear drums
A Code, 4V V8 engine with rebuilt Holley Carb, Edelbrock intake manifold and Hi-PO exhaust manifold. All gaskets replaced.
Aftermarket wheels with new tires (less than 3000 miles on them)
Nice looking ride, but thats a $41,000 car in local dollars by time you get it here.
I dunno where Yellow66 got to...hopefully he comes back

depends on where he lives, but in most Australian states, imported left hand drive cars are not allowed to be modified. To get it registered, the aftermarket wheels, Grant wheel, loud exhaust, T5 etc would all have to come off. You can sneak bits back on again ( I have the same Grant wheel and Ford RAcing covers etc) but you have to get it past the road ***** first.

the alternative is convert to right hand drive which adds another $10k and they still wont register it if its too loud or they simply decide "today is not your lucky day" or you get some a**hole who doesnt like Mustangs or its that time of the month for his wife and he didnt get any last night or WHATEVER...had my share of run ins with the bastards to the point that the dollars saved by importing your own car may not be worth the additional hassle over just buying one here where it is registered and some other poor clown has had to go through the hoops instead.
Oz has my deepest and most sincere condolences.

Old 02-09-2007, 06:41 AM
Yellow66

Aussie66Fastback

Hi, i'm located in NSW just outside of Canberra. I'm unsure of how much work the GT needs, if any. It is located in Qld and is AU$49k. The other car is not finished, but i think i could finish it for a total of about AU$43-45k including new paint and trim. Both are LHD
From what i have seen on Carpoint / Carsales / Trading Post most decent 65/66 fastbacks are 40-50k. Some of them are only "C" codes, so for an "A" code with 4sp (quite rare) i did not think 45-50 was to bad. There was a 65 GT fastback for sale in Canberra for AU$59k that has now sold (unsure of sale price) and there is another immac GT fastback in Qld for AU$65k. From memory there is also a GT "K" code for sale in NSW for AU$85k
Is that true about imports not being able to be registered with mods?
Old 02-09-2007, 11:04 AM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

not sure if this helps you at all but how much would these cost ya?
http://cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp...eadExists=true

http://cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp...eadExists=true

http://cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp...eadExists=truejust kidding on this one.

ahhh heck, hope I didn't make the window ginormaramic[:@]
Old 02-11-2007, 08:33 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Yellow66

Aussie66Fastback

Hi, i'm located in NSW just outside of Canberra. I'm unsure of how much work the GT needs, if any. It is located in Qld and is AU$49k. The other car is not finished, but i think i could finish it for a total of about AU$43-45k including new paint and trim. Both are LHD
From what i have seen on Carpoint / Carsales / Trading Post most decent 65/66 fastbacks are 40-50k. Some of them are only "C" codes, so for an "A" code with 4sp (quite rare) i did not think 45-50 was to bad. There was a 65 GT fastback for sale in Canberra for AU$59k that has now sold (unsure of sale price) and there is another immac GT fastback in Qld for AU$65k. From memory there is also a GT "K" code for sale in NSW for AU$85k
Is that true about imports not being able to be registered with mods?
hey Yellow,
hope I'm not preaching to the converted here if you already know this...

the mechanical side of any restoration on a Mustang is pretty cheap. Local ford parts readily available can be used for engine, gearbox, diff, brakes, most of the suspension. Steering boxes, drag links export brace and monte carlo bar are Mustang specific and cheapest over the internet. the interior pieces are all available over the net too and mostly pretty reasonable if you import yourself.

the big bucks goes in body restoration and paint. So, for me, I value body and paint more than the engine etc.

the 65/66 mustangs had a "casting number" on the block, but not a body matching engine number like our Fords. All the early records were destroyed so you cant get a Marti report for 65/66 either. So, if originally a K code car, and body and door tags are original and match, it will be worth more, but the chances of it having the original engine or you being able to identify that engine with any certainty are slim. Not saying it cant be done, just need to know exactly what you are looking for.

Have you got the knowledge or know a local Mustang nut who can verify that the cars you are looking at are genuine factory GT cars??

re registration, definately in SA...lhd = no mods whatsoever. as I said, you can bend that a bit after registration. In NSW i think its not so onerous, but i'd check with the RTA or a Mustang club. A car already registered in NSW with a pink/green slip is tha safest bet.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:46 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

also had a look at the black QldGT...he's probably done a really good job, but he's destroyed the rear guards to put fat wheels. I dunno why anyone would do that to a genuine GT, so my suspicions are aroused!!!

only had time for a quick look...yep they are getting very pricey. Maybe i should sell mine!!!

this really depends on what you want the car for...original/show/increase value OR looks good/goes hard/turns heads. If the latter, that black GT will do it.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:30 AM
Yellow66

Aussie66fastback

I ended up buying the 1965 "A" code 4sp. It cost me 25k and is rustfree and dead straight. It was painted about 12 months ago but was only rough. I plan on stripping it back and having a quality respray. I will then get a complete new interior for it and have it re-wired. Motor was allegedly rebuilt so hopefully all is good (not connected at moment so not sure of how it is running). I hear what you are saying - the bodywork was more important to me to. I also spoke to a bloke who does the blue slips in NSW and he said he had done a few 65/66 Mustangs and they are generally trouble free so hopefully they will pass without too many mods or hassles.

I have my suspicions on the black "GT" in Qld. He has put new pics up and one of the rear shows the twin exhausts coming out from underneath the rear valance. Didn't the original GT exhausts come out from holes in this panel.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:19 AM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

Well done Yellow66,
i think you've probably made the wise choice of the 2.
Yes, the GT should have pipes thru the valence...i didnt look that close, but if he went to the trouble of getting all the GT badging and stripes, the valence thing is a pretty simple mod.

post some pics when you can
cheers