Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

New dilemma with 65 fastback - need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 07:45 AM
Yellow66

Default New dilemma with 65 fastback - need advice

Guys,

I have solved one problem in that i have now found a couple of 65 fastbacks in Australia, but it has led to another dilemma.

What would you guys choose:

65 "A" code 4sp Fastback. Body will be dead straight and rust free and have a new top quality paintjob. Complete interior (including a/c) will be new as will weatherstrips, chromework, badges, console. Will also have new disc brake upgrade, suspension kit and be re-wired. Motor was allegedly done a while back.

or

65 GT 4sp Fastback. Factory colour with some panels original paint and some re-done. Unsure of any rust which may be underneath. Non standard (351W) motor. Has Rally pac. Some body mods.

Now the "A" code is the equivalent of US$34,000 and the GT is US$39,000. You may think this is expensive but keep in mind they are a bit more expensive here as we have shipping costs and taxes added, plus there are not a heap of them around so sellers can bump the prices. The dilemma is would you go for an "A" code that is virtually new (rebuilt) or would you pay the extra US$5000 and take the GT which may have a few hidden surprises and doesn't have the original motor (on the plus side is i have a spare "A" code motor in the garage that could be rebuilt and slotted in).

Appreciate any advice.

Cheers
Old 02-07-2007, 07:52 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Default RE: New dilemma with 65 fastback - need advice

Hi !

I live in Ireland. And same here. Mustangs are more expensive because someone had to pay for duty and tax when bringing in the car. But I saw that I still run cheaper when buying it in the states. Maybe fiddle with the documents to lower the price (less tax). The huge advantage is that you'll be able to look at the car before you buy it. But if you live in Sydney and the car is in Perth you might have to rethink again.

You can always ask the help of a local mustang club to check the car out for you (something I missed doing).
And Australia is not too far off California, where you usually get good rust free Mustangs ...

Just a thought ....

I imported mine myself and would do it again

Kalli
Old 02-07-2007, 07:55 AM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

need pictures of both of them....
Old 02-07-2007, 10:13 AM
paddy187
4th Gear Member

Those prices are mad, I say import yes it's a pain, i paid $12k for my A code with 302 in in the netherlands and think i could get a similar car for $6-7k in US and a guy just imported his BMW from california and the shipping with insurance to the netherlands was $1k-1.2k so take a hoilday and buy in the states.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:46 AM
gjz30075
2nd Gear Member

Go with the GT. The GT is an "A" code but either way, a good dilemma. I think the GT (if a true GT) will retain its value better in the long term
Old 02-07-2007, 11:19 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Those are ridiculous prices. If you pay that much for an old Ford you are insane. Come to the states, pick you out a nice Mustang and ship it back to Australia for 1/2 that price, which also includes the price of a plane ticket.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:43 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

Having owned an A code '65 GT coupeand an A code '65 fastback at the same time, I'd say go for the better vehicle of the two. Although true GT's are somewhat rare, it is not worth an extra $5000 and a somewhat rougher vehicle for it. From your description, the first one sounds like a nicer ride.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:58 PM
iamdiffrnt
2nd Gear Member

If you had to pick one of the two I would also go for the cheaper one in better shape. However, check how much it will be to import one from the states, it has got to be cheaper than what they want for either of those cars.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:24 PM
rlbjrcpa
1st Gear Member

Since the GT does not have the original engine, I'm not sure there should be much ofa premium in price.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:13 PM
eholzer07
2nd Gear Member

I agree with most of the rest. Go with the regular A code. IT sounds like its in really nice shape... And with mustangs... what you may think is a few surprises ends up being A LOT of surprises. Im in the middle of fixing my surprises and man do i wish i would have waited for a better canidate. But what can you do.

Quick Reply: New dilemma with 65 fastback - need advice