Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

i need your opinion

Old 02-10-2007, 01:28 AM
connor90
4th Gear Member

Default i need your opinion

ok heres the thing. i recently bought a 1965 mustang for $2500. it is a t-code but the six was swapped for a v8 and everything was done the right way. i just installed disc brakes on it and there is absolutely no rust at all. well today i found a 1965mustang in the local paper that is an a-code. it is the original engine that was rebuilt 40k miles ago along with the tranny. both are automatics. it has been owned by the same person for the past 20 or so years. i have called on it and plan to look at it tomorrow. the owner told me that the trunk is a little rusty along with a very small spot on the door, other than that the body is straight. he wants 4k for it. now i am wondering what would you do. i could get the a-code but i would have to sell my other mustang and im notsure if it would be worth it and i havekindofgotten attached to mine. how much does the code influence the value of the car?
Old 02-10-2007, 01:38 AM
fast65
5th Gear Member

Default RE: i need your opinion

Well, if your going for stock (which it doesn't really like you are) then I'd get the a-code because the original motor will make the car worth more. But if not looking for stock then keep yours, especially after converting it to disc brakes, because that's pretty expensive.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:44 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Why do you own your Mustang? As an investment (BWAHAHAHAHAHA) or because its cool?

4k for a factory 4bbl car sounds like a good deal if the car is as good as he says it is.

Take a goodlook at it and get some ground truth as to its true condition. Your gut won't lie to you.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:48 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Figure about 5K to get the A code up to speed body wise. So, you will have 9k in a car that is worth about 9K. Not an investment for sure. Keep the one you have and not look back.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:52 AM
connor90
4th Gear Member

well i know cars make crappy investments lol.i like them because they are just aweome cars and have tons of charachter, plus i can fix them when they break. im kind of torn between the two. my mom has a compleatly stock 65 a-code conv. and mine is kind of the opposite of that so i know what both are like and i would like to be able to do both but unfortunatly my budget only allows for one
Old 02-10-2007, 02:34 AM
Gun Jam

Well your current mustang has a v8 in it that runs well. So the code is A but who cares. your going to have two of the same cars. If your in it for the really long haul then go for it as classic aren't getting cheaper. If not I would spend the 4k on the one you have now and make it even better.

Gun
Old 02-10-2007, 04:45 AM
connor90
4th Gear Member

ya i think ive decided to keep mine but im still going to look at that other one tomorrow. my v8 actually has a lot more power than an a code but i like the idea of a stock car. of course i also like the idea of a car built the way i want it. ill keep you guys posted.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:06 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

id keep the one you have im not a fan of keeping a bone stock car i get bored with it and change things
Old 02-10-2007, 01:57 PM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

If you resto the car it does not matter, if you plan to try to keep it original and restore to a concours lever, its a must. Just buy the other and have the best of both.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:22 PM
connor90
4th Gear Member

looked at it and was a little dissapointed. it ran strong but it wasnt an a-code like the guy said it was so i just said no thanks and left. it had some rust issuses too...like the trunk and stuff. not terrible but more rust than my current one has

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: i need your opinion