Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

4 piston brake calipers - great price!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 04:56 PM
Smothers
3rd Gear Member

Default 4 piston brake calipers - great price!

I noticed the other day my 65 was pulling hard to the right. After investigating I found the brake caliper on that side was not fully releasing. I took it to the one of the local brake shops for an estimate andwas quoted me some ridiculous price, something like $500. for both sides NOT including labor. When I was done laughing I went home and started seaching on the internet. The best I could find was $300. for a set.

Then I searched Ebay and found some for $214.99! (see the link). I just spoke to the guy who has them and I couldn't feel better about the purchase. He seemed very knowledgable and assued me not only would he take them back in the event they don't fit.Also says he will insure them for life.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...687&rd=1,1
Old 02-12-2007, 05:17 PM
dozierstang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 4 piston brake calipers - great price!

I got a reman. pair from Autozone for $52 a piece. These look near original but much cleaner and newer. I have not installed them yet but everything seems to match.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:00 PM
Smothers
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dozierstang

I got a reman. pair from Autozone for $52 a piece. These look near original but much cleaner and newer. I have not installed them yet but everything seems to match.
Wow nice price. The ones I bought come with thenew everything (calipers,pads, pad retainers & crossover lines), and the pistons are nickle plated (which as I understand is an upgrade from the originals).Didyou get all that stuff with yours from Autozone? If so i'm pissed

Also these are for the original GT style disk brakes, not Grenada brakes.

Edit: I just notice you have a 67. That may be why there is such a difference in price.

[IMG]local://upfiles/26569/8E3435F4739147CF932569D9C091D62D.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-12-2007, 09:05 PM
ACADIST
2nd Gear Member

'67 are the most expensive......style only made one year
Old 02-12-2007, 09:29 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

ok, so are they supposed to be a copy of these ones???

they are original Kelsey Hayes 4 spots. Not sure if they were used on GT or just Shelby.

My understanding (please let me know if i am wrong) is that they require a spindle to match and/or the standard disc brake caliper mounting is different to these.

Any ideas?

That is a great price. I was looking at a reconditioned set like the pic that were going to cost me about $550 US plus pads.

[IMG]local://upfiles/48146/8704FA43089147798A8DB9D714966F0D.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-13-2007, 12:42 PM
dozierstang
2nd Gear Member

The only difference in the 67's and 65-66 was the 7/16 hole for the brake hose. I could use 65-66 on mine but I wanted closer to what came on the car. I did not get pads, retainers, crossovers, but I wanted stainless retainers and crossovers that would not have came with the others. I already had new pads. Also, the ones I got already had new seals, boots and nickle plated pistions installed. I painted mine black so hopfully they will last.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:16 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

why not go for a baer or other big brake kit
Old 02-13-2007, 06:28 PM
dozierstang
2nd Gear Member

If you go with Baer or SSBC then you are talking big bucks...like over $2000 for the whole system. But you get some bad a$$ brakes with that and it's going to last forever. Unless you are racing, stick with stock...much cheaper and still good stuff.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:53 PM
Daytona Yellow 69 Z
1st Gear Member

Does anyone know who might just sell a rebuild kit for the front 4 piston calipers for 66 GT? I wanted to just rebuild my originals. My passenger side frontis grabbing and will lock the front tire if I am not carefull.

Thanks in advance,
Nick
[sm=icon_cheers.gif]
Old 02-13-2007, 10:07 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Daytona Yellow 69 Z

Does anyone know who might just sell a rebuild kit for the front 4 piston calipers for 66 GT? I wanted to just rebuild my originals. My passenger side frontis grabbing and will lock the front tire if I am not carefull.

Thanks in advance,
Nick
[sm=icon_cheers.gif]
Here ya' go! While you're at it, get new crossover lines, bleeder screws and piston retainers. I rebuilt my GT calipers years ago and all the parts added up like they seem to do now $$$. The Ebay calipers definitely look to be more economical and then you could Ebay your stock ones to get some of the money back. One thing to consider is that the pistons listed below are stainless steel and the Ebay ones were nickel/chrome plated. Good luck!

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...atKey=EMUSTANG

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...1&dep_key1=

Quick Reply: 4 piston brake calipers - great price!