Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

I Don't get it!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 01:54 AM
toolwench
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: I Don't get it!

Yeah, that's normal because heads are interchangeable. Neither head is specifically left side or right side.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:35 AM
gmata
1st Gear Member

Ok so i'll do that test, and in case i find out my head gaskets are blown, how do i reomeved the heads i never done that before, any advice ? is there anything i need to buy besides Head Gaskets?
Old 02-20-2007, 02:58 AM
toolwench
2nd Gear Member

Any Chilton or Haynes Manual will have complete instructions.

Get a complete gasket kit. It'll save you trouble in the long run because whatever you end up not using this time, will likely save your a$$ later. I've got quite a collection of partial complete sets. It's also sometimes cheaper to get the full set rather than only the gaskets you think you'll need.

I'm sure other guys will be able to impart more wisdom here. I'm a little rusty in this department because in the last 7 years I've only swapped out complete engines, not just heads.

I recall last time using parts cleaner in the cylinders to loosen some of the carbon off the pistons. I also remember taking the heads to a machine shop to be gone through and resurfaced. I also never trust re-using head bolts or rocker arm nuts, so I always buy new of those. It also helps to be very organized and mark what bolts came from where and what parts and lay them out on a workbench or space on the floor. That way, you never loose anything and since everything will go back on essentially in the order it came off, as you work, you'll be able to map where you are in the process in case you get interrupted. The first time I pulled off my heads, I didn't have floor space, but I did have lots of plastic bags, felt tip markers and a couple of boxes where I could keep things organized.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:06 AM
350kmileFord
3rd Gear Member

Heads are pretty easy to get off. I'd recommend getting the valvetrain apart (also easy/straightforward) and inspecting the intake/exhaust ports. Look for extreme burning/mishapen ports. If you have some extra money it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a valve job either. If not, no worries. Mabe just clean the ports out a bit.

You can also take it to a shop and have them do a magnaflux job-at least I think that's what is was called.
What the test is, is you put metal dust over the combustion side of the heads, then run a magnet across the combustion chamber. The magnetic field running throught he heads produces flux lines. This may not make any sense, but if there are miniscule cracks in the head, the shavings will stand up in that spot. Anyone care to give the real name for this test? :-/

And like someone else mentioned, get a LEAKDOWN TEST!!

Take it to a shop, I'd imagine they wouldn't charge much.

It will let you know where you're losing combustion:exhaust valves, intake valves, rings, headgasket(coolant leak)

Old 02-20-2007, 03:11 AM
350kmileFord
3rd Gear Member

*whoops, please delete*
Old 02-20-2007, 11:25 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

If the problem did not exist before the manifold swap then it is HIGHLY coincidental that all of the sudden he has a blown head gasket etc.

I typically don't tend to believe in coincidence. If it was working before the changes and now it doesn't, undo the changes and see what you have.

Do your leakdown test, check your timing cover, et. al. But my money is on a screwed up intake.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:48 PM
69FECoupe
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gmata

how do i do those test?

yes actually i see smoke and little bit of water coming out of the exhaust and also smoke coming out of the valve cover vent its a white smoke and ive noticed the right exhaust (looking from the back) smokes more than the left side.
With the amount of coolant loss you are describing, if it was a head gasket it would smoke A TON and probably hydro lock. It sound's like the coolant is going directly into the crankcase, not through the cylinders. The "sniff test" uses a chemical reagent that changes colorwhen it comes in contact with exhaust gasses.The test is done by sniffing the fumes from the radiator. It's quick, very accurate and can find even a small head gasket leak.

As has been mentioned, I'd put the old manifold back on to see if the problem goes away.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:20 PM
gmata
1st Gear Member

Miracously i think its been fixed, and the best of all i didn do anything. im not 100% sure if its not leaking anymore but at least is not like yesterday that the oils was completly mixed with water, its also not smoking at all anymore i think it got fixed. The only think i did different was to used thicker oil 50 instead of 30.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:42 PM
toolwench
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gmata

Miracously i think its been fixed, and the best of all i didn do anything. im not 100% sure if its not leaking anymore but at least is not like yesterday that the oils was completly mixed with water, its also not smoking at all anymore i think it got fixed. The only think i did different was to used thicker oil 50 instead of 30.
That's good to hear. [sm=smiley1.gif] My cynical/paranoid side thinks there might still be something wrong, though. Just be prepared!
Old 02-21-2007, 02:38 AM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

ya souns like you put a bandaid on wet skin