Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Battery keeps dying

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 05:48 PM
65mojoe
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Battery keeps dying

ORIGINAL: ZZmustang

Wont fry a diode wont kill anybody, will work just fine. The alt puts out the same with or without the battery hooked up. Or it would fry a diode when the battery was full charged and can't take anymore. Unlike some people hear, the charging system has no brain, It just does what it is made to do.
pulling the negative side does the same exact thing, but without the risk of shocking the **** out ofyou.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:55 PM
ZZmustang
Banned

Shocking you? It's 12 volts. Unless your in water you can touch both side of the battery at once. without shock.
But , Your right, the negative side will work. and if anything ,willhave less sparkwhen the cable is pulled off.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:31 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Why would that be?
You are running the chance of the battery blowing up in your face.
I have seen it happen, and it is not a pretty sight.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:34 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

It isn't the voltage that kills you, it is the amperage!!!! A couple of amps and you will assume room temperature in a hurry.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:38 PM
65mojoe
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fastbackford351

It isn't the voltage that kills you, it is the amperage!!!! A couple of amps and you will assume room temperature in a hurry.
this...and not to mention that if you're covered in grease or any kind of brake fluid (aka...FLAMMABLES) then tinkering around with the positive side, which tends to spark more, is pretty much asking to light up like a thanksgiving turkey
Old 02-19-2007, 07:08 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

Back to this guy's original problem, how could a guy not drive around the block without drawing down the battery unless there was a serious short in there?!? Again, why not disconnect the alternator from the system and see if the problem still occurs? If not, bingo! If so, something very, very wrong is going on!!
Old 02-19-2007, 07:09 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

FWIW, I can run my battery operated Ready Welder for my Jeep and lay down 60" of bead before the battery will wear down. This guy has a serious draw somewhere, whether it is charging or not.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:21 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: gothand

FWIW, I can run my battery operated Ready Welder for my Jeep and lay down 60" of bead before the battery will wear down. This guy has a serious draw somewhere, whether it is charging or not.
As mentioned. He needs to take it to Autozone and have the battery and alternator tested. If there is a serious short somewhere, it will be detected with the testing equipment. He may just have a dead cell or two in the battery.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:37 PM
ZZmustang
Banned

I bet
Right now you can go pop your hood and grab both battery terminats at the same time and not a thing will happen, except on your car , you would probably get dirty. And then start it up and grab both terminals and Nothing. Unless your standing in water.
Anyone want to take that bet?????????

And
Sor, Batteries are sealed, Unless you have one with caps on it, Then, You need a new battery.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:45 PM
69FECoupe
3rd Gear Member

Wont fry a diode wont kill anybody, will work just fine. The alt puts out the same with or without the battery hooked up. Or it would fry a diode when the battery was full charged and can't take anymore. Unlike some people hear, the charging system has no brain, It just does what it is made to do.
Thanks for the education, again. I guess i pissed away that $600.00 I spent on that Snap-On charging system tester for my shop when all I had to do was lift a terminal! N/M

Quick Reply: Battery keeps dying