Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

73 Mach 1.....any help appriciated.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 03:40 AM
ford79_69

Default 73 Mach 1.....any help appriciated.....

HelloEveryone,
Ok... first things first...last july I came across a 1973 Mustang Mach 1. The price was right so i baught it, brought it home and started workin on her. well with about 15 minutes of work i had the old 351 C. running smooth and verry strong. But to make a Long story short....the car was not what it seemed to be. I started driving it around september and had no problims out of it....then one day after school i was leaving and i got on the road and got to mabied 15-20 mph at the tops. when i hit my brakes to stop in the traffic my pedal went to the floor and i hit one of the teachers cars in the ***...and at that low speed it totally destroyed my car...my drivers side frame rail was shot and when i hit him i found this out...the drivers side frame rail is now out of shape and the front cross-member is bent and twisted...the radiator support is gone as is the radiator but anyhow....i have looked everywhere for replacement frame rails for it and cant come across any anywhere! what should i do to get my baby on the road again? thanks for any ideas...
Zach
P.s. I am a cashier at wal-mart so my cash flow is rather low and i would be really happy if someone could tell me a good way to fix it and still keep the cost under $1000 i would be eternally grateful
Old 02-20-2007, 04:28 AM
ford79_69

Default RE: 73 Mach 1.....any help appriciated.....

Old 02-20-2007, 04:35 AM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

well what tools do you have access too and second it sounds like you need to replace your master cylinder depending on what tools you have will govern the cost of repair at this point
Old 02-20-2007, 04:56 AM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

well not too be an ***, but not only did you post late, but you only waited an hour for a reply

remember, most people who own these classics are old farts[8D] well not really, to get good replies you normally have too post around noon

im a cashier at a grocery store too and i know cash flow isnt too great, but look through the sheetmetal area on mustangs plus, it will be alot of work though

post some pics of it before you got it smashed
Old 02-20-2007, 09:27 AM
j code kid

try bleedblueford on ebay.com hes got heaps of stangs to cut up a front rail off 4 ya
Old 02-20-2007, 10:51 AM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Gee sorry I went to bed early to get up and do something today. I was in bed when you posted.. Might learn to relax a bit. Just so you know this was the first one I clicked on when I got on the site today, you arent being ignored.

Anyway, if ou do come back, fixing it for less than $1000 isnt going to be easy. Replacing the front sheetmetal will take up most of that unless you can find a decent donor cheap. Front fenders alone are almost $400 each. Getting a new rail, shock tower and crossmember will have to come from another car. Nobody reproduces them so to replace them you need rust free parts.

Welding them on isnt just a slap it in there job either, replacement of a rail done incorectly will make the car undriveable because an alignment could never be done correctly, and or the sheetmetal wont line up when its done. It is something that needs to be done by a professional, and therefore will cost more than $1000 for all the work needed to repair a front end collision.

Its not something that can be rushed, and what you should do is start saving money and buying the parts needed to fix it as you can afford them. If you want your car back, then you need to do whatever it takes to save the money to get it back. It might take some time but its worth the wait. Most of us cant just buy all the parts we need at once, we need to save what we can and apply it to our cars as time and life allows. If you are still living at home, at least you dont have to worry about rent and food. Your entire paycheck could go into the car over the course of a few months and it could be fixed rather easily.

Assuming there is more rust on the car, you will need around $3000-$5000 to fix it and get a decent paint job on it. That is if there isnt rust in the floors, trunk, cowl, doors, rockers, and fender aprons. My 71 is swiss cheese looking from rust, but I like the car enough to rebuild it. So far it has $3000 worth of sheetmetal, and $3000 worth of other parts that I have collected since I got the car 13 years ago. Dont make it wait 13 years for you to get to it, work towards fixing it now and make it your number one priority or you will have a wreck sitting around for a long time... or a much worse case, you will send a cool old car to the crusher..
Old 02-21-2007, 01:49 AM
ford79_69

Hey everyone Thank you for the help...im sorry i was an *** last night im trying to quit smoking and have been verry impatiant and irritable....i have access to a welder cutting torch and all those good toys...i was considering just throwing the body on a full frame and leaving it at that but i dont think it would turn out right at all....i have an 86 stang in my front yard thats setting and doing nothing because i have no title for it...the frame and all that is still straight. would there be any way at all to use it to aid in rebuilding my mach 1? i dont think that would be possible but i just wonderd...thanks again and im verry sorry to have come across the way i did last night
Zach
Old 02-21-2007, 02:04 AM
ford79_69

Old 02-21-2007, 02:07 AM
ford79_69

there ya all go the one above dident go thru right hopefully this one works
Old 02-21-2007, 03:48 AM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

doesnt look too bad, got any pics of the engine or underneath?

i dont think the fox will work, i believe it was based on a different platform for thsoe years.

well, first things first, do you got a garage or anywhere to store it from the elements? cause it looks like you have some bare metal and it looks like your fender has a hole in it, i could be wrong though, it is sorta hard too tell

Quick Reply: 73 Mach 1.....any help appriciated.....