Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Keep the six?

Old 02-20-2007, 08:19 PM
Mustang Boy
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Keep the six?

keep the I6 and rebuild it with parts from www.classicinlines.com and also check out www.fordsix.com before doing the swap cause there are quite a few people putting turbos on I6's and getting some decent HP and tons of torque

Old 02-20-2007, 09:26 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Well do you want to drive it or race it? If you just want to drive it, like to school or work, or to Taco Bell for some late night heartburn just keep the 6 in it and have fun.

I like V8s more than most people, especially the Cleveland, but for a cruiser and a first project you dont need that much power or expense. A simple rebuild of the 6 will motor you around okay and allow you to build another engine for later. Trust me, its vastly more fun to drive these cars than to have them sit and wait for an engine, parts on order, or whatever. I have one that has been waiting 20 years for me to finish the paintjob.

Git it running, drive it and have fun with it. Make plans for later so that you can learn as you go and not get frustrated by things cropping up that keep you from driving your car. A budy of mine had a 64 with a 6, he built a 289 in small engines class that ran pretty well. He forgot the plate that goes between the cam and timing gear and messed up the block. His car has been sitting for 20 years as well, its better to enjoy it on the road than as yard art.

After you have put so much time and effort into rebuilding the car, you might not want to yank the engine and make it faster. You can always build a toy if you like, once you have one done, another is easy. At your age its better to do small jobs and keep the car driveable, because money is always the limiting factor.

Keep the 6 for now, and build a hotter engine for later... you will be happy you did.

ps.. find a way to make the pics smaller before you post them, ok?
Old 02-21-2007, 05:35 PM
65coupe88hatch
4th Gear Member

I dont want to "race it" but I also dont want to have a slow car haha I already own one...boringgg

I also wanted a V8 classic stang and have the power but dont necessarly need to use it all the time. I think rebuilding the 6 and dropping it in would be a nice easy and fairely cheap way to go...but Im not so sure im gonna be happy with it (never driven one or even heard one) But im starting to lean towards the 6 for money reasons, since im only 17 and already have insurance and cell bills and considering my low level of experience on this, since im trying to learn and plan to go to school for this once I graduate.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:12 PM
Mustang Boy
3rd Gear Member

i too am 17 and i have the 6 in my car and nobody ever thinks i have a 6 from my exhaust tone and it has quite a bit of power and will have more once i move out in a few months and no longer have my mom stopping me from buying what i want for it

Old 02-21-2007, 06:15 PM
65coupe88hatch
4th Gear Member

Do you have a sound clip of it? Im curious what it sounds like and what mods are done to it?
Old 02-21-2007, 06:59 PM
66JameStang
4th Gear Member

Ditch the six for sure through in a stroked out 351W. Make it a powerful 408 and enjoy.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:16 AM
1967inline6MUSTANG
1st Gear Member

it is up to you i'm keeping my 6 just because it's different. i had one of two sixes at the last mustang club show of over 100 cars. plus it sounds so cool with the header, people think it has something much bigger...
Old 02-22-2007, 01:54 AM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

I'd say if you're going to replacing brakes, suspension and all that, might as well put in a V8. If you're only 17 don't get in over ur head to much, just put in a 302 which can make up to 450 hp if u build it up. The 302 is also a great platform because of the massive amount of parts for it so it won't be expensive at all to build it and make mods for it later.

just my opinion.

and I'm 16 btw, and am restoring my fastback. Its a slow process, but I'm taking a different route being that it will be my daily driver as I'm restoring it. Engine and compartment is finished! now bodywork and interior. yours needs way more work though, and I wish u the best of luck!
Old 02-22-2007, 03:02 AM
ed65dy

where can i find a bad *** motor? any websites?
Old 02-22-2007, 03:22 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

id keep the 6 to be different and they can make some power look around www.classicinlines.com they even have a efi set up for one

Search this Thread