Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Anybody have one of these?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 02:42 AM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Anybody have one of these?

get the two ton i borrowed my neighbors 2 ton and it pulled my 289 like nothing and it was adjustable for my needs
Old 02-22-2007, 02:50 AM
ford65stang
2nd Gear Member

i bought mine from pepboys also.....big red was the brand

i have used it a dozen times on misc lifting, and some engine swaps....works like a champ
Old 02-22-2007, 03:07 AM
gothand
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

I would rather rent a good one than to buy a cheap one. How many times are you going to use it over a lifetime?
Maybe 20 engine swaps max, including loaning it out to friends? Even for the one engine swap that I've used my current lift with, I probably had to use it on four separate days. The lift paid for itself twice over already even if I tossed it in the trash.

As for those concerned about the folding unit let me put that hogwash to rest. First, it is correct that it is rated for one ton, but only 1/2 ton fully extended. Even a big block with a bellhousing and tranny is well below that. As for its operating height, I was able to take my engine, still bolted on a pallet out of the back of my Dodge Ram pickup truck that does not exactly have a low bed. When I installed it into the Mustang, I had no problem clearing the radiator support even with the car on jackstands about 6" off of the ground.

I agree with Scott, that in our litigious society, failing lifts would not be good for business.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:16 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

i got the same one from them 4 years ago still works fine its been used 8 or 9 times so far
Old 02-22-2007, 09:41 AM
supermanzx9r
2nd Gear Member

i have several tools and and other equipment fromHF and i have never had a problem and if you do, you can take the tool back and they will replace it .I have done it on two items and had no problems and the welder i bought from them worked well on the floor pan and cowl and it was the" cheap one" ..... many of the tools at HF are tools that didn't pass quailty control at name brand companys ..... JUST MY 2 CENT
Old 02-22-2007, 01:33 PM
OhioMachIRunner69
2nd Gear Member

Rent one from an auto parts store.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:28 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Eh when it comes to tools I am slightly different from most of you guys. I cant count how manytimes I have needed or used an engine lift, its constantly in use for something around here. You probably arent like that, and you probably wont be pulling engines weekly either. If the lift cylinder dies, you can get a replacement from NAPA or anywhere else that will fit it, they are all pretty much the same size.

If you want a good jack that is shop quality and will last for years, I have one of these that is painted red and has SnapOn stamped into it, but its the same thing as this one.
http://www.toolsource.com/ost/produc...F496HLLB500439
If you buy three wally world jacks or three craftsman jacks in ten years, you could have bought one of these and had alot less frustration. I got mine in 93, its beat to death and still works like it was new, but the wheels squeak..lol.

Like I said, I use this stuff constantly so its different for me. I cant stand pumping 300 times to raise the car 19" I have better things to do, and a jack that settles is a jack that gets chucked.

If you dont have much room, like a one or two car garage, then rent the engine lift. If you start swapping engines around constantly, then its time to buy one. If its just sitting there taking up space and doesnt get used for 3 years, how bad did you need it? If you do buy one, quality means safety. But there is no need to buy a purdy red one with the SnapOn logo on it..

I paid $180 for my lift from NAPA, just because they were the only place that had one and I needed it that day so I couldnt wait for Summit to send me one. We dont have a HF up here, but we did in Charleston.. for light duty the HF can work okay provided it isnt anything cast.