Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Door Alignment ideas

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 02:02 AM
TomSlick

Default Door Alignment ideas

Thanks for your help on my previous post about the radiator tubes.. Next snag'; I have a 69 coupe prepping for paint. Im trying to align the passenger door to the rear quater panel. Moved the fender, lossened the henge bolts picked up the door(it was sagging) tightend the bolts. Problem is the door swings in a bit to high now but when it comes in contact with the stiker,the striker position stillforces the door to close a bit to low, meaning the door closed OK before, but it stopped to low on the character lines. It doesnt LOOK like nether the striker nor the door mechanism can be adjusted. I havent taken the striker off yet; still looking a big phillips. Does anyone know HOW the striker and the door mechanism can properly aligned? The prelimary fit in the front looks OK. Thanks for your help. Seeya at the next red light
Old 02-21-2007, 02:10 AM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Door Alignment ideas

The striker is adjustable. You may need an impact driver to get it loose. The kind that you smack with a hammer not the pneumatic kind.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:14 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

the striker and the hinges are adjustable u probably need new pins and bushing in the hinges open the door and pick up from the rear if its got play u need them

ull never get the door lined properly with worn parts

u need to align the door to the quarter panel 1st then line the fender to the door dont even think about the fender till the doors finished and paint stick make excelent door gapper while settin gaps
Old 02-21-2007, 08:57 AM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

Rmodel65 has it correct. Qtr to door first, then fender. Fenders are shimable. (Shimable is that a word?).
Now heres the bad news part. If you removed the doors and then did some removal and welding of unibody parts like torque boxes or other support systems, and you didn't weld in temporary supports where the doors were you may have allowed the entire car to sag out of alignment. Hopefully none of this happenned and its just a matter of aligning the striker and fender. The hinges , if original need to be replaced or refurbished. BTW they sell a cheap door alignment tool that allows you to gain leverage when attempting to align the door.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:28 AM
TomSlick

Thanks for your replies! LTS its fixed. I loosened the front fender to get to the door bolts, took the door off the replace the pins and guides but I couldnt find the kit i bought (crap). They seem to be fine, no play, so we put the door back on. Got everything lined up and adjusted the striker so it closes very well now. I DID know to line the door up to the qtr panel first before the fender but thanks for the reminder. Next question... crate motor or rebuild w/heads? and what's your opinion on the heads? (manufactorers)
Old 02-24-2007, 09:31 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

it depends on which engine you have and your budget i always buy the parts and put the engine together myself its cheaper and if it breaks can only blame me
Old 02-24-2007, 09:42 AM
ACADIST
2nd Gear Member

I know you got it fixed but wanted to let everyone know that the show on DIY network that the are restoring the fastback actually had some good tips on this a week or two ago.
ORIGINAL: TomSlick

Thanks for your help on my previous post about the radiator tubes.. Next snag'; I have a 69 coupe prepping for paint. Im trying to align the passenger door to the rear quater panel. Moved the fender, lossened the henge bolts picked up the door(it was sagging) tightend the bolts. Problem is the door swings in a bit to high now but when it comes in contact with the stiker,the striker position stillforces the door to close a bit to low, meaning the door closed OK before, but it stopped to low on the character lines. It doesnt LOOK like nether the striker nor the door mechanism can be adjusted. I havent taken the striker off yet; still looking a big phillips. Does anyone know HOW the striker and the door mechanism can properly aligned? The prelimary fit in the front looks OK. Thanks for your help. Seeya at the next red light
Old 02-24-2007, 12:40 PM
mustanglover66
4th Gear Member

As for the engine it all depends on your budget and what you want to do with the car. Here is some well prices quality engines I know because I work there. http://tandlengines.com/