Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Power Steering

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 08:06 PM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

Default Power Steering

so this morning i get up and what not go start the car and as i back out of the drive way there is a huge red trail so i automatically know that its my PS (i have blue tranny fluid) so i get home from school and look under the car cause its coming from underneath and i see that its my return line and it has a huge bubble in it and its causeing the clamp to cut into it but what caused that could it be a bad control valve or something but if it were the control valve then wouldnt my pressure line burst not the low pressure return
Old 02-22-2007, 08:09 PM
toolwench
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Power Steering

It might just be the age of the hose. I've never had one do that on my power steering, but I did have a heater hose bubble and shred on its own clamp. The hose was downright ancient. If nothing else in the system feels or sounds wrong, there probably isn't anything else wrong.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:19 PM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

well the hose isn't that old i just replaced it about 8 months ago when i put on a mew pump but it has always sounded like i have air in the system now more than ever cause the missing fluid
Old 02-22-2007, 08:29 PM
toolwench
2nd Gear Member

I don't know what to make of the hose, but you should definitely bleed your system once you replace the hose. In the mean time, if you don't have more hose laying around, you might be able to just shorten the one you have and clamp it back down until you can get more hose.

I'm really not that good with power steering because I yanked mine off about 8 years ago after too many problems. It mostly blew hoses because they kept falling against the headers no matter what I did. So now, it's a manual steer car. Problem solved! My other car has power steering, but it hasn't had any major problems in the 3 years I've owned it. Well, except I did have to replace the control valve because the car shimmied in high speed turns.

I'd replace the return line and bleed the system. If there's anything else wrong, you should be able to feel it at the wheel.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:35 PM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

it feels good i did loose my steering the other night after i drove through a puddle it was deep though (it looked shallow)
Old 02-22-2007, 08:37 PM
restomod66
3rd Gear Member

Time to go back to manual steering, besides it build on upper forearm strength!!!
Old 02-22-2007, 08:39 PM
toolwench
2nd Gear Member

You might've hydroplaned. Steering is nill when your tires are making more contact with water rather than road.

Your system is probably fine.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:42 PM
restomod66
3rd Gear Member

Maybe a hydroplane on power steering fluid????
Old 02-22-2007, 08:44 PM
toolwench
2nd Gear Member

I've got one manual steer car and one power steer car. The difference is incredible between the two. Relocating the A-arms made both cars easier, but the manual steer car is still a beast. I'm also pretty small (I only weigh 105lb.), so it's not exactly easy to throw the car around, but I do it anyway. Cars are meant to be driven!!!!
Old 02-22-2007, 08:45 PM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

i know i just wanna drive the thing

Quick Reply: Power Steering