Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Dual Exhaust - Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 12:59 AM
Stangs4Life

Default Dual Exhaust - Mufflers

My car has been in the shop for a few days getting the headliner installed and some other various things done, so I'm getting a head start on the exhaust.I am wanting to upgrade my single exhaust to true dual with most likely someFlows. If I'm going from stock single exhaust to dual, what inlet/outlet locations do I need on mymufflers? If you need to know for anything, I do not plan to install the exhaust myself.Also, as far as Flowmaster mufflers go, would you guys go with the 40 series, the 40 series delta flow, or the super 40s? Thanks in advance.

oh yeah, its a 66 coupe
Old 02-24-2007, 01:04 AM
Phatboy
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Dual Exhaust - Mufflers

As much as I have seen center in/out works like a charm. Personally I like the look of offset in/outs on opposite sides, but how many people are gonna be lookin under there to see?
Old 02-24-2007, 01:06 AM
JamesW

Flowmaster 40s are extremely loud. You will be regretting your decision in a year. Recommend you consider Magnaflows or Borlas...
Old 02-24-2007, 01:09 AM
Stangs4Life

so basically, it doesnt matter, its just the appearance of how you want them to look? k, thanks for the idea...and I still have a while until I buy mufflers, so I'll check out magnaflow and borla before I make my decision...I don't want anything really loud as it would get annoying, I just want something that you know is there when you start it up and when you punch it.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:13 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

i got 40s on the fox they are nice and i like them just fine
Old 02-24-2007, 01:16 AM
JamesW

Would you consider them louder than other types of mufflers? What have you compared them to?
Old 02-24-2007, 01:20 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

my old glass packs were alot louder on my old 72 i had chambered mufflers on the fox b4 the flows they are only slightly louder but have a different sound altogether

the car being loud also depends on the way the exhaust system is layed out if u have an H or an X setup or none at all etc

my vert has an off road hpipe,stock headers and the 40's i can hear the radio at highway speed just fine and it sounds awesome wit hthe top down around town
Old 02-24-2007, 01:23 AM
Stangs4Life

I've always thought they were louder than some others that people have, but I've never heard flowmasters in person before. All I have to go by are the sound clips, people's opinions, and clips posted on here. I just didn't know if having them on a stock 67 289 2v (bored .60 over) and stock manifolds would generate too much sound to where they would get annoying.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:25 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

well most any 5.0(302) fox on the street will have flows its like a right of passage for the foxes so and figure that the vintage car is running the same motor so it will sound about the same
Old 02-24-2007, 01:32 AM
Stangs4Life

my dad had glass packs on his 70 somethin cutlass, and he said that he blew em out and that they were really loud. It starts to annoy me if mufflers sound really loud all the time and they have a long drone. Listening to clips on the site, I thought that the 40's weren't that loud, and that it would be quieter since on mine sinceI don't have the mods that some users have and just have exhaust manifolds, and not headers. I don't really have a load of money, so I was just going to buy mufflers and then take them somewhere and get the pipes put on. I dont mind standard tubing, but I haven't decided on whether to get an X pipe or an H pipe yet. Since I'm not into the really loud sounds, I'm slightly leaning towards the X. But do to cost resrictions at the moment, I might end up having to go with the H.

Quick Reply: Dual Exhaust - Mufflers