Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Want to learn manual driving a little better

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 05:47 PM
Guitylerham
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Want to learn manual driving a little better

Not funny...my friend's dad died in a tragic game of Project Gotham Racing 20-car pile up. It was so bad...he had to press the reset button and start all over...
hehe, I enjoyed the laugh
Old 02-25-2007, 05:59 PM
restomod66
3rd Gear Member

Just another day in paradise brother!!!!! Thanks for the info on that game!!
Old 02-25-2007, 06:11 PM
MidNite27
2nd Gear Member

Put it in the Gear u want. Floor the Pedal, Pull ur foot of the clutch like its really hot. You can now drive a manual and look cool doing it.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:17 PM
easttennmotors
2nd Gear Member

i road race stock cars and in one of my mustangs and have a vintage trans am boss 302 mustang im building and heel toe driving is one of those things it just depends on your style, me personally i dont like it i just left foot brake & clutch and keep my right on the gas but once again its just how you want it thats all that matters
Old 02-25-2007, 06:19 PM
restomod66
3rd Gear Member

I will show you the proper technique for $50/hr. and I know it wil take at least 24 hours to get you up tp speed!!!!!
Old 02-25-2007, 07:04 PM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

just get a POS that runs and is a stick, drive it till the tranny falls apart, by then you should have a good working relationship with a manual. Also you could steal someones 03/04 cobra, I'll be impressed if you break the clutch on that thing (well break it so much that you can't get it back to whoever you stole it from!
Old 02-25-2007, 10:30 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

yeah its not hard, just need to practice, here ya go just go do this, cobras can take a beating

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbCQMCBc0hs&NR
Old 02-25-2007, 11:11 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

The only way to learn how to drive a manual transmission is to drive one all the time. I took my nephew out to the parking lot at the high school and started from there. He eventually got the hang of it, and I trusted him enough to take my 03 Mach to his high school prom with his honey.
I started driving a stick when I was 5. It was a '49 Dodge pickup. Daddy was on the tractor out in the cotton patch, and Mama would brew up some coffee for him in the afternoon. Well, I stood up and shifted the gears and took him his afternoon coffee. I stayed mostly in grandma gear, but once I got out of the turning row with all the sand that made the rear end jump up and down, I shifted to 2nd. I ran into the corner of the farm house once though, and got a butt beating. Farm kids were tough back in the late 40's and early 50's.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:22 AM
ideal_mustangs
4th Gear Member

All clutches are going to have a totally different feel also. You've got to get used to driving one. As far as pulling out on the hills, after you get it down good, you'll hardly roll back at all. It will just become second nature to you.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:52 AM
venpry

The first manual transmission vehicles I drove were 4 wheelers as a kid. Rent one for a day and spend some time just getting the idea of letting out a clutch and feeling the catch point. Once you feel the sensation through your hands, you'll have a better idea of the sensation you're looking forwhen you're in a car.You can also get an idea of what it's like to start from a dead stop at different points on the rpm band and how you need to modulate the clutch accordingly; the same basic concepts apply to a car.

Quick Reply: Want to learn manual driving a little better