Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Other possible brake donors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 05:47 PM
blue66coupe
1st Gear Member

Default Other possible brake donors?

Hello-

I thought I read somewhere that there are other possible donors for front disc brake swaps for 65-66 besides the Granada. What about 67-68 Mustangs, or other Ford cars from that era? Anybody out there done it, or is the Granada truly the best without spending a fortune?

Thanks
Old 02-26-2007, 06:11 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Other possible brake donors?

Not many other Ford cars from that era came with factory discs as standard equipment. I think the Granada swap is the cheapest one out there. Mustang Steve has a late model Cobra conversion but it requires larger wheels and is more costly than the Granada swap of course.

Are you looking for somethiner cheaper, better braking ... ?
Old 02-26-2007, 07:12 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

gothhand is right or if you want to spend some money http://www.fatmanfab.com/07page19.htm lets you use any brakes you want that fits the 94-02 mustangs
Old 02-26-2007, 08:03 PM
blue66coupe
1st Gear Member

No, of course I would like to spend as little as possible since i will be doing the whole front suspension at the same time, but my main goal was to get something that was as close to factory original as possible. I have heard that the Granada swap affects suspension geometry, although apparently that is not an issue as long as you are not going to severely mod the rest of the suspension. I'm just going with the basic new suspension.

Iwas just thinking that maybe the Torinos or full size Fords from that era might be a possibility, just to give some additional availability of parts. Thanks for the responses, though. About to start on a bunch of stuff, so it's good to know that folks respond with good info and quickly.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:10 PM
restomod66
3rd Gear Member

So why not go with the whole front suspension upgrade offered by many mustang distributors??
Old 02-26-2007, 08:11 PM
latamud
2nd Gear Member

75-80 Monarchs are the same as Granada. Versailles front spindlles are the same too except the tie rod hole is way bigger but someone makes a sleeve to use them. Comet/Maverick front disc brakes, 67-69 Mustang will swap, 70 Mustang will work if you use 70 outer tie rod ends.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:17 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Stay out of the junk yard. Get the new complete package from CSRP for $545.00 which is the best bargain for new disc brake swaps on the market. Besides, Dennis is a member here and a real stand up guy. http://www.discbrakeswap.com
Old 02-26-2007, 08:18 PM
blue66coupe
1st Gear Member

Hey restomod66- yep, i will be going with one of the full suspension kits, just do it all at once. That's why i want to make the brake decision now so I can get all the parts ready at once.

Thanks for the input, guys.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:40 PM
restomod66
3rd Gear Member

How about a few pics of the blue66coupe????
Old 02-27-2007, 02:46 AM
blue66coupe
1st Gear Member

well, I would post some, but it would definitely be a "before" shot. Right now it is 100% original. Been in my wife's family since new, grandfather bought it in Denver when he worked for the railroad. Must have been a railroad company car or something. My wife got it when she turned 16. Been through a lot of minor bumps and bruises and has yet to be healed. Basically a standard 289 auto coupe with a BAD second paint job that's 20 years old. But, 185K original miles and still runs (except for a slip in 2nd gear..)

Been trying to restore it for A LOT of years, but I think I'm ready to dive in. I'll have to get some pics up.

Soaring, I'll check out the brake kit- sounds like a good one.

Looking forward to talking to you guys along the way- thanks in advance for the help.

Brady

Quick Reply: Other possible brake donors?