Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

CD Player in '66 Coupe, basic wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 08:44 PM
350kmileFord
3rd Gear Member

Default CD Player in '66 Coupe, basic wiring question

I am going to wire up a basic cd player with basic speakers. I am fine on the location/fitting/wiring of the speakers, but I had a question about wiring the deck, more specifically the remote wire.

I need to splice into a wire that only has power when the car is on. Is the only option the ignition wire? Or will something like the emergency flashers work? I am a bit confused, my friend said that if I did this then I would have to basically turn the flashers on when I wanted to listen to music. But wouldn't I basically just need to tap into the hot wire of the emergency flashers? I would get the hot from that, then the deck would ground somewhere else, creating the closed circuit. Wiring isn't my strong point, input?
Old 02-27-2007, 09:19 PM
green_blurr
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: CD Player in '66 Coupe, basic wiring question

Car stereos have only taken me 10 to 15 minutes tops to hook up the power suppley and getting the unit powered and playing . 12v wire leads to the battery this will be your + wire, you may need to cross this wire with another wire that has power running through it, so that the LED display will light up You will want to use this setup having constant power to the radio so you can save your presets in the radio such as time and tracks and such. just turn the radio off and it will only use a small amount of juice to keep the presets and info stored.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:31 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Take your gauge cluster out and look at the back of your ignition switch. If you want constant power even with the key off, then splice into the big yellow wire, but if you only want switched power, meaning you have the key in the on position, then splice into the Black/Green wire.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:39 PM
350kmileFord
3rd Gear Member

If I wanted poer all the time then I could just run straight to the battery.

But like green blur was saying, if you do ithis way then don't you have to turn it on/off every time you enter/exit the vehicle? Did you use anything for a remote switch( i.e. ignition), green blur? I would like it so the player coincides with the accessories' power.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:54 PM
green_blurr
3rd Gear Member

Remote is hooked up to my amp from my deck when i turn the deck on the amp turns on aswell.
I am running constant power to my deck but i have to manually shut it off when i leave the vehicle and turn it on when i enter the vehicle. i like have presets all there everytime i start up, my friends wired their stereos to only play when the turned the engine on . You cant save presets and you cant listen to the radio with the engine off that way.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:50 PM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

When I did my truck, I used the cigarette lighter - wasn't using it anyways
Old 02-28-2007, 12:04 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: mySAVIOReigns

When I did my truck, I used the cigarette lighter - wasn't using it anyways
The cigarette lighter is constant power. If you want to turn the stereo on and off every time you get in and out of the car, then fine, hook everything up to the big yellow wire or the back of the cigarette lighter. The pros hook the light and everything else that needs constant power to the yellow wire, and the on/off for the power to the amp to the black/green wire. That is why you have an accessory position on your ignition swithch......so that you can listen to your stereo with the engine off but not with the positive to the engine to run down your battery.
And, if you run it to your battery direct, you will have a wire in your engine bay that will look ghetto, and you will get laughed out of the parking lot.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:13 AM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

My bad - like I said, that was in my truck which is about 20 years newer than my mustang. Didn't know the cig lighters were constant power.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:39 AM
noroof66
3rd Gear Member

Soaring stated it the correct way, but there are obviously other ways.
Most but not all cars cig lighters are constant power. Your truck may not be.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:35 AM
19stang66
4th Gear Member

I have mine hard wired to the battery with an inline fuse, just like green_blur. I turn it on and off manually. It doesn't look ghetto rigged at all. You just need to be creative of where you run the wire.