Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

289 rebuild- how difficult?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 02:14 PM
blue66coupe
1st Gear Member

Default 289 rebuild- how difficult?

I know this is a relative question, but how difficult is it to do a rebuild yourself? I am pretty handy with cars, been working on them for years and have done just about everything except a rebuild- replaced heads, timing chains/belts, etc.
I have plenty of tools, but would have to buy/rent a hoist and stand. Question is, can I expect to be successful with this, or is it better in the long run to have someone do it?
The only problem I have with someone doing it is the cost, and the fact that I don't know anyone that I can trust in the Dallas area.
My gut tells me I can do it, but I'd like to hear from some of you guys who have been through it.

Thanks-
Old 02-28-2007, 02:17 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: 289 rebuild- how difficult?

You could do a lot except for milling the block, crank and heads. That would have to be done at a machine shop. But, you could tear it down and put it all back together with a new rebuild kit which would include the 0.030 over pistons, rods, rod caps, etc. Actually, it will be a lot of fun for you if you like taking chit apart and putting it back together.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:28 PM
iamdiffrnt
2nd Gear Member

I would also have the block dipped and having the cam bearings installed by a professional, in addition to the machine work. Everything else you should be able to do yourself. (it really stinks when you find out that you didn't install the last cam bearing in straight)
Old 02-28-2007, 03:01 PM
blue66coupe
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the replies- I understand about any of the machine work, etc. I wasn't really planning on doing any of that, just basically the disasssembly and re-assembly part.

Not having dealt much with machine shops, do you just take it in and they check it out and let you know how much the cylinders need to be bored and the heads milled, or do you have to specify that up front? Any rough ideas on how much that costs? The engine has 185K on it, so I assume the cylinders need at least some refreshing.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:07 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Up untill a couple of months ago I had absolutly - 0 - experience with Ford engines so I bought the following book.

http://www.amazon.com/Rebuild-Small-...939585-7631216

Yuo might give it a try, to me it seems like a reasonably good guide for the Windsor engine rebuild process.

Edit <<< If you can replace heads, you can do a rebuild, if you take your time and be carefull to take care of all the little details. A book similar to this will help to make sure you don't miss a small but vital detail.>>>
Old 02-28-2007, 05:10 PM
boeing747arowair
3rd Gear Member

JMD, does that book cover the I6, or would it just be safer to go with that Falcon book?
Old 02-28-2007, 05:52 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

This specific book covers only the small block Windsor.

If you are looking for a good I-6, I have one in my garage with less than 10,000 miles on a rebuild. Runs great, and looks great!!
Old 02-28-2007, 06:31 PM
kenash
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 289 rebuild- how difficult?..not very

Hey Blue Coupe,
I would say "go for it". Half of the battle is having the interest to attacka a re-build. I'm in the middle of a re-build and upgrade of a 289 for my 64 1/2 vert.There are many "tips"n "tricks" but none the average gear head with a few tools can't handle.Knowing what to askfor is straight forward. There are many sites with engine 101 type info. Hell, I'll even throw in a few things as you progress.
First installment.... I had my 289 dipped for cleaning and cam bearings installed here in Maryland. It cost $200.00.My machine work was already completed 1200 miles ago.
Good Luck and don't be afraid to askquestions!
Old 02-28-2007, 06:50 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

A stockish to moderately built up engine isn't very hard to assemble yourself. You just need to take your time and make sure you're doing things in the right order.

Buy a book. And at least a stand, since you'll be better off not putting yourself under time pressure and rushthrough the assembly just to get the stand back to the rental shop (when you're rushed, tired, or hungry, you're far more likely to make a mistake). Get one with four wheels, BTW. 3-wheelers can be made to tip over way too easily when you're torquing head bolts down (never mind how I might know that). A few other things that I think need (re)emphasis include . . .

Let the pros do your machining and hot-tanking, and getting the internals balanced is a good idea as well (I always have that done).

Do your own cleaning afterward, as the hot-tanking will loosen but not necessarily get all the crud to come out of the block/heads. The procedure recommended by the machinist that I've used involves warm water, Tide, and various brushes. If you can connect a hose to a hot water or ahot & cold tap, so much the better. Then paper towels with auto tranny fluid to remove all traces of the cylinder boring/honing that I assume will be necessary. WD-40 on all other surfaces afterward.

Chase all of the threaded holes with the appropriate tap so your torque readings will bemore accurate.

Some care is necessary when installing the rings and getting the pistons down the holes. There's a certain "feel" involved, especially with the spring steel kind (of ring compressor).

Norm
Edit
Old 02-28-2007, 06:50 PM
66JameStang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 289 rebuild- how difficult?..not very

It is not that bad and it is a great learning experience. Doing it yourself is the best way to learn and as long as you take your time and pay attention to detail everything will be great. Just out of curiosity are you rebuilding for performance.

Quick Reply: 289 rebuild- how difficult?